Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Excel 2003 Question

Options
  • 27-01-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi Folks! I've done a bit of googling and can't find an answer to my problem, so I'm hoping someone out there has an idea!

I have one master excel file that is looking up and pulling certain data from 4 other excel files and it all works ok. However, I would like to be able to copy the formatting of the source cells across to my master file (conditional formatting doesn't give me enough options to do the job). Is there an easy way to do this or would it have to be done through VB macros or something? I know nothing about VB coding!!! Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you tried Format Painter?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭MickH503

homer911 wrote: »
    Have you tried Format Painter?
    Sorry, I should have given more detail ... basically I want the cell colour to be set depending on what the value of the cell is. So, conditional formatting would do this perfectly except that in Excel 2003 I can only set up 3 rules (or 3 colours) and I need 5 I think. The source cells already have the colour set up ok and I would like to be able to auto-populate those colours to my master workbook. That way, if any of the data in the source workbooks is changed, then the data and the color would change in my master workbook. Does that make any sense at all??? Thanks for your reply!

I'm guessing VBA is the only way to do this, but I have no clue how to go about it!

Is there a way to use IF statements to set up cell fill colours?
    Something like
    IF A1="RED" THEN set A1 fill colour to red ...

I've had this limitation myself - yes VBA is the only solution in Excel 2003 for this problem

Why dont you download the Office 2010 beta?

I have Office 2007 at home which would do the job, but unfortunately this is a work project so it has to be compatible with Office 2003. Do you have any links to VBA code that would work and a VBA for dummys guide!!?:D

• Advertisement

sorry :( Over to Google

homer911 wrote: »
    sorry :( Over to Google
    Fair enough!! Thanks for the help ;)

Advertisement