Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA - Top 100 albums of the 00's

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

cheers mist take a proper look at that later. Plenty of good stuff in there but plenty I've heard and thought was shyte too. A lot I have never even heard of so might be some hidden gems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah looking for Hidden gems myself, a big fan of the Dub Techno/ Basic Channel sound so checking out that "Convextion" album , new to me.

http://www.discogs.com/Convextion-Convextion/release/1359139

****I see now from RA that "Convextion" will be @ the Twisted Pepper Feb 20th !
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?139265

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Number 1 is a joke. I thought that album was pretty boring to be honest. I would have had The Knife at 1. Where is Four Tet - Rounds. Wrong LCD Soundsystem album in the Top 10. Nathan Fake way too low down. Its voted for by the readers though so if thats what they think you cant really criticise RA.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

In fairness for a readers poll I think its pretty good. No Tiesto, DeMauFoive or Armin Van bleeeauugghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Zascar wrote: »
    In fairness for a readers poll I think its pretty good. No Tiesto, DeMauFoive or Armin Van bleeeauugghhh

Thats true. I think any of the albums on the list that I have heard deserve to be on the list but I would argue on the positioning more than anything. I suppose it shows how far up Ricky Villas hole a lot of people are.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

DominoDub wrote: »
    Yeah looking for Hidden gems myself, a big fan of the Dub Techno/ Basic Channel sound so checking out that "Convextion" album , new to me.

http://www.discogs.com/Convextion-Convextion/release/1359139

****I see now from RA that "Convextion" will be @ the Twisted Pepper Feb 20th !
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?139265

Haven't looked at the rest of the list yet but that Convextion album is absolutely essential for any dub techno fan, highly recommened.

Just had a proper look through the full list and I think its a good representation of some of the best albums over the last 10 years. Not the order I'd pick them in but some I absolutely agree with are...

97. Drexciya - Harnessed the Storm [Tresor, 2002]

88. Nightmares on Wax - In a Space Outta Sound [Warp Records, 2006]

71. Aril Brikha - Deeparture in Time [Transmat, 2000]

70. Vladislav Delay - Multila [Chain Reaction, 2000]

60. Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Vertical Ascent [Honest Jon's Records, 2009]

57. Monolake - Polygon_Cities [Monolake / Imbalance Computer Music, 2005]

41. Fennesz - Endless Summer [Touch, 2001]

34. Move D & Benjamin Brunn - Songs from the Beehive [Smallville Records, 2008]

33. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - ReComposed [Deutsche Grammophon, 2008]

28. Trentemøller - The Last Resort
    [Poker Flat, 2006]

18. Shed - Shedding the Past
    [Ostgut Ton, 2008]

17. Convextion - Convextion
    [Down Low, 2006]

15. The Other People Place - Lifestyles of the Laptop Café [Warp Records, 2001]

10. Rhythm & Sound - w/ The Artists [Burial Mix, 2003]

06. Gas - Pop [Mille Plateaux, 2000]

A good few others I'd like to check out too, most notably -

13. Luomo - Vocalcity
    [Force Tracks, 2000]
    Back at the start of the decade, house music was in pretty uninspired shape. A handful of German labels, however, were quietly forging an intriguing fusion of instinctive house structures and increasingly experimental sound design. The most prominent of these microhouse imprints was Force Tracks, and Vocalcity remains by some distance the label's most enduring full-length release. While other microhouse producers had been dabbling in rarefied, glitch-heavy experiments, Vladislav Delay's Luomo alter ego was arguably the first artist to successfully meld next-level production techniques with a rich, emotionally-charged soul. From the endlessly shifting plains of "Synkro" to the vocal tearjerker "Tessio," it set the tone for a decade that would see the conservative boundaries of what we once knew as house transformed beyond all recognition.

Oh and I missed this one from the list, a huge favourite of mine, amazing album..

49. Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season [echospace [detroit], 2007]
    Reverential dub techno from a Detroit and Chicago duo steeped in electronic music history.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Great list - while I'm unsure about RV being no.1 (more RA RV ass licking) it's a very decent list. Can't wait for the top 100 tracks - I'll be busy on Speedyshare that day :) From a nerdy POV, delighted to see I've early 1/3 of the albums on the list.....which I like to think is a decent if not nerdy achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1144

also "RA Poll: Top 50 mixes of the '00s"

RA celebrates the art of the mix with our list of the best compilations of the past ten years
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1143

RA Poll: Top 100 tracks of the '00s now added !

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1145

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Absolute drivel:rolleyes: f*cks sake there is about 7 albums out of the 100 that i like, where are the classics like

Leftfield - Leftism
    FSOL - Lifeforms
    Orbital - The Brown Album
    Altern-8 - Full On Mask Hysteria
    Prodigy - Experience and Music For Jilted Generation
    The Orb - UF Orb
    808 State - Ex-cel
    Goldie - Timeless
    Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
    Faithless - Reverence
    Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman

all of the aftermentioned are shamefully not included :rolleyes: i could list countless others.

RA Poll: Top 100 tracks of the '00s now added !

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1145

Some good entries in there alright. Surprised they didn't mention the fact that Ian Loveday of Minimal Man is actually dead... great track featured by him though.

Make A Move

59. Minimal Man - Make a Move [Trelik, 2000]
    If there were a track to singularly summate the experience of writhing on the decade's most notorious dance floor, DC-10, than Baby Ford and Ian "Eon" Loveday's "Make a Move" would get my cross on the ballot. Rather than emitting one of those famed sit-down inducing "moments" ala "Doppelwhipper," "Make a Move" gradually uncurled itself like a snake emerging stolidly from its basket; or in audio terms, its filter teasing and titillating before adding that extra bass note and eventual open hi-hat. Context-specifics aside, the track has been a not-so-secret weapon for all manner of selectors since its unfussy release back in 2000, proving that functionality is often the key to love and longevity. - Ryan Keeling

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Absolute drivel:rolleyes: f*cks sake there is about 7 albums out of the 100 that i like, where are the classics like

Leftfield - Leftism
    FSOL - Lifeforms
    Orbital - The Brown Album
    Altern-8 - Full On Mask Hysteria
    Prodigy - Experience and Music For Jilted Generation
    The Orb - UF Orb
    808 State - Ex-cel
    Goldie - Timeless
    Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
    Faithless - Reverence
    Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman

all of the aftermentioned are shamefully not included :rolleyes: i could list countless others.

The classics like those above would have featured in a 90's top 100 albums list. This is the 00's list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

lol!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

lol,awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Felixdhc wrote: »
    The classics like those above would have featured in a 90's top 100 albums list. This is the 00's list :D

haha so it is my mistake :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

jonnny68 wrote: »
    haha so it is my mistake :o:D

big mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

pretty good list overall i think. while they do give ricardo v a BJ the list doesnt read like a highbrow dance snob checklist like i kinda expected. nice to see some classic albums like night works by layo and bushwacka and come with us by the chemical brothers which were sort of crossovers.

i hated that geodaddi album though, just maded me want to listen to MHTRTC...

xdeletiax wrote: »
    pretty good list overall i think. while they do give ricardo v a BJ the list doesnt read like a highbrow dance snob checklist like i kinda expected. nice to see some classic albums like night works by layo and bushwacka and come with us by the chemical brothers which were sort of crossovers.

i hated that geodaddi album though, just maded me want to listen to MHTRTC...

I never bought or even listened to Geodaddi - a friend got it around the time of its release and wasn't impressed, I trust his opinion so never bothered.

Surprised actually that there is no mention of Amon Tobin or Luke Vibert in any of the lists from RA - would have thought one or both would be popular RA choices. Obviously not though...

Advertisement