Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiplash experiences...???

Options
  • 27-01-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can share their experiences of whiplash with me?!

I was involved in a car crash 7 months ago, diagnosed with grade 3 whiplash. I know its not the most serious of issues compared to what a lot of people have to cope with but I'm just wondering how other people have got on?

I managed to get pretty much whole body whiplash, from the top of my neck to my lower hip area. I took very little time off work, I just got straight back into driving as I was afraid that I'd become too scared to get back behind the wheel again! In hindsight, that probably wasn't the best idea... But on the brightside I do appreciate that I was very luck to escape from far more serious injuries :)

I started physio as soon as it was possible & am still going regularly, pretty much every week. I have been referred to an orthopaedic consultant & all that.

To be honest I never though very much of whiplash, I didn't give it much credit as to the affect that it has & how it can change your life but boy was I very, very wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I had a car accident when I was three months pregnant - car ran up the back of me and wrote the car of... Not good.

I had whiplash coming down my neck into my high back, and also down my leg into my foot (probably from the foot being on the pedal). Mine was mild - I will admit - but it does take a good while for it to all work out. I couldn't really take any medication because of being pregnant - i just had to let it work itself out.

Check out whether there is anything extra you can do to help like pilates - maybe something else complementary you could so would really help.

Just after checking online that both pilates and a chiropracter can help - but this is obviously your call. I have used both for various back injuries and muscle pain and they both help. But I never used them for whiplash though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iw82

Oh gosh... three months pregnant! Thank goodness there weren't any other complications.

My physio is really tough but excellent & I did happen to ask her opinion on pilates & whether or not it would be suitable for me. I have to hold off for a little while longer, just too inflammed still but has given it the big thumbs up for when things eventually calm down.

I'm just a bit fed up at the moment, really miss hillwalking & would give anything for day that didn't involve strong painkillers.

Just need to get some patience...! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 WildRover234

I got whiplash from a sporting fall almost exactly 3 years ago.

Then I got a second 'hit' about 3 weeks later when somebody hit my headrest on an airplane seat.

I still have a sore neck now.

My strong recommendations: take it really very easy for the first several weeks after whiplash - a double hit can leave permanent damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iw82

I'd have killed whoever hit the headrest on the plane....!!! :mad:

The consultant advised that 'people with whiplash tend to mind themselves too much' and that 'I shouldn't hold back from anything'.... and then started taking about inter-spinal injections in the next breath!

Ah.... if only he could see the consequences of spending a day at the desk doing paperwork... nevermind not holding back!

Advertisement