Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lovely lanzarote

Options
  • 27-01-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

just back from a week in lovely warm and sunny lanzarote.loads of quiet roads, great surfaces, and dedicated cycle lanes through the busy resorts.
    saw loads of irish club jerseys especially form kerry!
    you could do a lot worse than plan a week or two in the canaries at this time of year, you might even bump into some pro tour teams getting some winter training in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I was over in Fuerteventura for the Xmas. Fantastic weather, lovely road surface but I have my doubts how suitable is for cycling. The roads are narrow enough and cars are normally flying it, so I think some lads would get very impatient (and therefore dangerous) behind a bike. I went about hiring a bike as well but couldn't get hold of a racer, albeit I didn't try that hard to find one.

Although I do hear there is more of a cycling 'culture' in Lanzorte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

a couple of years ago I was in teneriffe winter training for a few weeks, cycling heaven if you love the mountains (el teide et all) and saw an astana rider once or twice. Its brilliant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I was over in Fuerteventura for the Xmas. Fantastic weather, lovely road surface but I have my doubts how suitable is for cycling. The roads are narrow enough and cars are normally flying it, so I think some lads would get very impatient (and therefore dangerous) behind a bike. I went about hiring a bike as well but couldn't get hold of a racer, albeit I didn't try that hard to find one.
    Although I do hear there is more of a cycling 'culture' in Lanzorte.

Fuerteventura is only starting to catch up with Lanzarote now. In the north of the Island they have developed a dedicated cycle path connecting the east and west beaches which are not too hard on 23c tyres. It's pretty flat up North, but a 100km return trip will take you to the Islands biggest climb near Betancuria.

You can hire bikes from 'Easy Riders' in Corralejo, good road bikes and nice mountain bikes too.

Although I'm a roadie, I prefer a mountain bike when in Fuerte.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

just back from a week in lovely warm and sunny lanzarote.loads of quiet roads, great surfaces, and dedicated cycle lanes through the busy resorts.
    saw loads of irish club jerseys especially form kerry!
    you could do a lot worse than plan a week or two in the canaries at this time of year, you might even bump into some pro tour teams getting some winter training in.

tbh, I found the roads in Lanza either quiet or well-surfaced, but rarely both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

me@ucd wrote: »
    a couple of years ago I was in teneriffe winter training for a few weeks, cycling heaven if you love the mountains (el teide et all) and saw an astana rider once or twice. Its brilliant there.

Just back from there :). Rented bikes from http://www.tenerife-training.net for 3 days. Really nice with plenty amazing views around the island and mostly really good roads.

The bikes can also fit in the buses(no extra charge), so if the gf/wife is not feeling like doing 30k climb to Teide at 6%+, problem solved.

Also saw someone probably belonging to Cervelo team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

heading to Gran Canaria 2moro ! can't wait the weather has been so CRAP here !!This will be 5th year going over to train and rest !

you can't beat some winter sun and 2000m climbs !!

Biker Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I'm in gran canaria right now not such a great some of the worst weather they have ever seen the roads are in **** here too loads of rubble after some cliffs collapsed. Weather is meant improve from tomorrow on fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

hey Crash
    Which roads were effected ? the coast road between puerto rico and maspalomas ?
    The 10 forecast looks good from tomorrow onwards

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SPXX0201?from=dayDetails_topnav_business

Will give you a bell this evening when we get there.

Biker Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Just back from Lanza, 7 days in Club La Santa.

Mostly great weather, one day of the mental storm, but you could still train in it if you knew where to hide from the wind a bit.

Clocked just over 27hours of training in, 19 on the bike. Good week overall. Tan lines are well and truly established for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Heading over on Monday for 10 days, bike booked, bags packed cant wait to get out of this cold air.
    Anyone any good routes from pto del carmen.

• Advertisement

Have fun...it was due to rain for the next week....no joke

Get out of PDC - ride to El Golfo via Playa Blanca, then over Timanfaay, home via Tiguise. TBH its a small island, you'll get to see most of it.

Ride the IM loop while you are there, its good if the weather is ok, plenty of towns to get water in on the way.

I have checked the weather, not much rain but its to get windier from tuesday, yes El Golfo is a nice ride great climb and hairpin up from Yaiza and a great road from Timanafya to Teguise, Whats the distance of the IM loop it goes right to the north yes.

The IM loop is effectively a loop of the island with a figure of 8 out to Teguise.

Only thing that is a must do on the island is the 20% climb near Femes

billy.fish wrote: »
    The IM loop is effectively a loop of the island with a figure of 8 out to Teguise.

Only thing that is a must do on the island is the 20% climb near Femes

Thats the place with the hairpin at the top , not bad climbing from pdc but the otherside is tough as hell.

Only done the steep side, no point doing the other side :)

Yeah, might try it that way this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

just back from a week in Lanzarote and got in some great cycling. Plenty of wind and hills. I tried the Femes climb from both sides and it is well tough out of Playa Blanca. That said, the next time, when I went over from the PDC side the wind on the main road back to Yaiza more than made up for the lack of suffering on the climb to Femes. I did the Tabayasco climb as well and that's a brilliant ride, lots of lovely hairpins at the end and a fast sweeping descent into Teguise.
    The hardest bit for me tended to be finding my way in and out of PDC. I reckon that the best thing is to probably head up to Tias as most of the routes are accessible from there.
    I hired a bike from Renner bikes, 80 eur for 5 days for a bog standard alu. I had a Madone for the first day as they didn't have an alu but tbh I didn't find much difference, probably down to the wheels they use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

heading there in may and im looking to get some mtb'ing in :D going to have to try and find someone to guide me though as i know none of the trails :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

heading there in may and im looking to get some mtb'ing in :D going to have to try and find someone to guide me though as i know none of the trails :(

There ya go Iceytrips: http://www.lanzaroteinformation.com/content/mountain-bike-routes-lanzarote

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nice i have some place to start :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement