Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccine in Schools

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi my six and a half year old daughter is due to have the swine flu vaccination in school this friday 29th Jan. After long discussions between my wife and I we decided to complete the form and give our consent to the vaccine but we are still not 100% sure that we are doing the right thing. On further investigation in the school we have been told that less than half of the children are NOT having the vaccine for what ever reason. So now again both my wife and I are very unsure if we should let our daughter have the vaccine or not.
    We would be very interested to hear from other parents as to what decision that you have made.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's your concern exactly mate? The vaccine has been given to millions of children worldwide at this stage, with no significant amount of serious adverse reactions.

In an environment like a school where there's hundreds of people rubbing shoulders daily, your child is at greater risk of infection than yourself and your wife.

I think the bottom line is this: there have been no known deaths or serious complications resulting from the vaccine, whereas the flu has killed 20,000+. In the balance of things, surely the responsible thing to do is have the child vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

All my 3 have had the vaccination.

My son had it at the end of October because he was high risk. The only side effects were soreness at the site of the injection and 3 unexpected nosebleeds in the following week.

He had the second vaccination in November and there were no side effects.

Prior to the vaccination (between September and October) he had two serious chest infections where he needed steroids. In between the 1st and 2nd vaccination he had a less serious chest infection. Since the 2nd vaccination, thankfully he has been clear - despite there being a lot of bugs going around his school.

My daughters had the vaccination in school a couple of weeks ago. Both reported soreness at the site of the injection but that was it.

All 3 had Pandremix.

I appreciate that you are apprehensive beforehand, I have to say I was apprehensive too. There's always a worry. But everything turned out fine.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Macman38 wrote: »
    Hi my six and a half year old daughter is due to have the swine flu vaccination in school this friday 29th Jan. After long discussions between my wife and I we decided to complete the form and give our consent to the vaccine but we are still not 100% sure that we are doing the right thing. On further investigation in the school we have been told that less than half of the children are NOT having the vaccine for what ever reason. So now again both my wife and I are very unsure if we should let our daughter have the vaccine or not.
    We would be very interested to hear from other parents as to what decision that you have made.

Not a parent, but if I recall correctly your child is 10,000 times more likely to die if they don't get vaccinated. (Perhaps Tallaght or Loccum knows the exact stat.)
    Ask your GP for more info and advice as at the end of the day, we can't advise you either way. Though we can discuss and most likely dispell fears about the vaccine that you may have. :)

P.s I've just had mine and only have a sore arm. Will let you know if anything else happens, not really expecting anything else to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Macman38 wrote: »
    ... less than half of the children are NOT having the vaccine for what ever reason...

Of course the other way of looking at that is that more than half ARE having the vaccine!

Advertisement