Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packers fans...opinions on Favre now...

Options
  • 27-01-2010 9:34am

Gotta say I would have hated to see Favre win a Supewrbowl ring with the Vikings. I would hate to see the Vikings win Superbowl anyway, but with him it would have been even worse. And had to stay up just hoping that would not happen. But then the sight of him battered and broken leaving the field at the end made me perhaps think that he did not deserve that particular ending - despite the irony given his last throw for the Packers. Perhaps if they were well beaten, or he had completed the pass and they missed the FG, it might have been more fitting. So will any Packers fans out there admit they were smiling, or on the other hand was anyone hoping he would win despite playing for THEM...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Not having a go at you Conor, but in general, I don't get the animosity towards Favre, from the Packers. They didn't want him, they got rodgers, Rodgers is doing the business. Everyone wins. Why have such a problem with the Favre?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

davyjose wrote: »
    Not having a go at you Conor, but in general, I don't get the animosity towards Favre, from the Packers. They didn't want him, they got rodgers, Rodgers is doing the business. Everyone wins. Why have such a problem with the Favre?

Exactly! WTF is with that?

The guy puts in years of loyal service for Green Bay and brings glory to that city, putting his body on the line every week. Now you hate him? Cos he plays for another team. Even though Rodgers is one of the top QBs in the league (number 1 in my fantasy league, anyway!) and is performing arguably better than Favre did with the Packers towards the end of his time there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I doubt its to do with Favres history with the Packers, but the way he left things. He had no interest in mentoring Rodgers, and then dicked around with retiring, no I'm not, yes I am, no I want to play again.

I support the Patriots, and Brady is a hero to me. But if he starts mucking around, and ends up making a joke of a retiring situation and ends up with the Jets, I would be fairly peed off too. Time is a healer, and in time when Favre does retire, I'm sure he'll be remembered more for his years service than his retiring. but now, I can fully understand why some Packers fans have animosity to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yeah I agree with you Davy. he one thing that we have seen over the two years since is that both Green Bay and Brett Farve have made the right decisions. The Pack has a franchise QB and Farve has still shown himself to be one of the very top QBs in the NFL. His performance this year(not withstanding his last pass!) was immense and lets be honest he is the sole reason the Vikings got to the championship game. When he starts flirting with the idea of retirement this off season it will be a very different situation that with the Pack-there is no replacement on the roster right now. The Vikings need to draft or trade for a top QB. The one thing that they have learned over the last two years is that you cant win in this league without an elite QB. Also Farve is wanted and needed this time and that may give him enough reason to come back for another year while the Vikings draft a new QB this year(maybe someone like Jevon Sneed with their second or third round pick) and let him learn the system and come in and play in a years time.

I guess I feel the same way any Celtic fan feels when they see Kenny Miller tog off for Rangers. Yes, rationally, the player and the club made their decisions, and money changed hands, and if they all don't mind why should the fans? But not sure logic or rationality come into being a fan, or should!

Furthermore, it's not that I hate Favre, as is noted I am happier with Rodgers because we have now bridged the problem that was always gonna arise once Favre went. But on the other hand, let me put it another way...hate is way too strong, but I certainly don't respect Favre as much as I did 2 years back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I guess I feel the same way any Celtic fan feels when they see Kenny Miller tog off for Rangers. Yes, rationally, the player and the club made their decisions, and money changed hands, and if they all don't mind why should the fans? But not sure logic or rationality come into being a fan, or should!

Furthermore, it's not that I hate Favre, as is noted I am happier with Rodgers because we have now bridged the problem that was always gonna arise once Favre went. But on the other hand, let me put it another way...hate is way too strong, but I certainly don't respect Favre as much as I did 2 years back...

Loyalty works both ways though. sure, Favre messed about for a few months, but ultimately the guy was turned away when he said he wanted to play another season as a Packer.
    i don't necessarily blame GB for that decision, but I don't blame Favre either. If I'd the chance to play a season as an NFL Quarterback, and I genuinely wanted to, I wouldn't refuse the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I'm a long time Packer fan, brother is a season ticket holder and i've had the pleasure of attending a few games in Lambeau.
    I personally don't know any Packer fans that hold a grudge toward Favre.
    I'm sure they are out there though - a tiny minority.

My brother and I were delighted to see Favre do well (just wish the Vikings didn't beat the Pack 2x this season).
    I am sorry to see the Vikings loose, was really hoping Favre would get another ring and then retire.

Favre won a SuperBowl for GreenBay, played in another, won numerous conference titles, holds probably ALL the Packer QB records and for Packer fans - beat the Bears almost everytime they met when he was at the helm.
    You see, it's the Chicago Bears that Packerland hates, not the Vikings.
    They also hate the Dallas Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm assuming he'll come back for one more (eh, how many more?) try next year. I really, really hope he fails. It's sad, because I wanted him to get a few more rings. His career deserved a few more, but I'd have preferred if he won them in '97, '01, '03 and '07. :) When the Pack were knocked out in Arizona I transferred my allegiance to Favre and the Vikes in the hope that he'd get his ring and ride (the fook) off into the sunset. But no, he had to fail.

So I'm afraid he ain't gonna get another look in. Rodgers' time has come. Favre will go down in history as the man with less rings than Jim McMahon. :p

From a Packers' fan: We'll never forget you, Brent Farve*!!

*For fook sake, his name is FAVRE.

jman0war wrote: »
    You see, it's the Chicago Bears that Packerland hates, not the Vikings.

Huh?

I know all about the Bears rivalry, but I see even ex Packers players confirm that while they disliked the Bears, they hatedthe Vikings. Here's a few...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4522034

And as you can see from any quick googling, plenty of Packers fans hate the Vikings more than the Bears...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/34344084.html

While I'm not saying that this is empricial evidence, I can say you are the first Packers fan I have seen here saying they hoped Vikings would win Superbowl. I'd prefer to see any other team win it, even France with Henry up front...

I can't claim to know the Lambeau crowd, my Godmother's family live in Green Bay and like all citizens go to games and they HATE the Vikings. As for the tiny minority that hold a grudge about Favre, they must have all been huddled around the tv microphones when the Vikings played at Lambeau because it seemed the boos drowned out the cheers.

Well of course Packer fans are going to boo him when he plays the Packers!
    Exactly like they do against other big money players that quit for other teams.

Like that fricking Terrell Buckley (have you even heard of him?).
    First round draft pick of the Packers, people were pinning their hopes on him.
    He even was a training camp holdout (iirc) for more money.
    Ended up giving up HUGE pi penalty's.
    Eventually was traded to Miami where he became a pro-bowl selection iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know that if Brady said he was retiring and went off playing for the Packers or the 49ers I would have no problem.

But if he ever turned up at the Jets, oh god lets not go there.

Like that fricking Terrell Buckley (have you even heard of him?).

Ah look, no need to get touchy about it. You can drop the 'I know exceedingly more than you' routine, it's just an opinion.

You and bro are right, I'm wrong, we all love the Vikings.

And the Packers players quoted are wrong too, sure what would the likes of two times Superbowl winner and Packers legend Jerry Kramer know about Packers rivalries compared to you guys, what with all your Terrell Buckley knowledge and stuff?

That's more like it.
    ;)

But, it's not the Vikings that we love.

We love Brett Favre.

ok maybe that's not working
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HAzI63X8Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jman0war I have to disagree with you. I spend a lot of time in Wisconsin and I can point you towards many thousands of Packers fans who hate Brett Favre and want nothing to do with him. Their feeling he "Was" great but is an a$$hole now.

I'm not a Packers fan and have gone to many games and hang out with the good folk of WI a lot. And talking to the general fan and also those who still play or coach football there is definitely mixed emotions about the whole thing.

As for the Rivalries the Bears are top of the List for sure, They would be the most hatred rivaltry.The Vikings come in second on the list and the Cowboys well lets just say they are on a lot of teams dislike list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

That's more like it.
    ;)

But, it's not the Vikings that we love.

We love Brett Favre.

ok maybe that's not working
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HAzI63X8Q

Fixed that for you.

Advertisement