Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Disc Replacement

Options
  • 27-01-2010 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to get my brake discs replaced - I'm not sure if they're front or rear but when I had my last service, I was told that it would cost me roughly €250-€300. Unfortunately, that was back home down the country and I'm living in Dublin. Today I just came across an Irish website (not sure if I'm allowed to name it so I won't unless mods tell me I can) and I inputted my details of the car and they quoted me €463!

I have a Toyota Yaris, 2000, over 130k mileage...

Can anyone tell me if this is the going rate for brake disc replacement in Dublin?? I'm a girl and I have a fear of being completely ripped off. I'll have to take the car off the road for a while if I'm expected to pay the guts of €500 to get these done. I would bring my car back down to the original mechanic but I'm afraid this is urgent and the brake discs just won't wait until I get down there.

Would really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
    Aspiration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Your first quote of 250 to 300 is even on the steep side. anything over 300 for this work is too much
    The disks are roughly 60 - 80 euro each and you will have to change the pads also.
    If you went to your local Toyota dealer even they would not charge 463 euro for this work!
    I suggest you contact any local garage and explain the work needed and clarify you already know how much parts etc cost.. that way they will not try to rob you!
    also check out www.toyodiy.com.. input your car details and instantly get euro prices for every part of your yaris! hope this helps,
    Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Its most likely the front discs that need replacing (the front brakes do most of the work). Have a look yourself - feel the edge of the disc and if it has a large lip then it probably needs replacing.

As mentioned above, you'll need new pads too. Parts should only be €150 so you should get it done for about €250....

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Jeez lads, yer absolute legends! Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Just checked http://www.micksgarage.ie

Guessing that you have the 1L model the total cost of disks and pads delivered to you home is €116.17.
    Now just find any good independent garage to fit them.
    labor at €40-50. Max 2rs work + sundries (brake cleaner etc.)
    Max €250

Alternatively go to any motor factor and pick these up for similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dunno about your Yaris, but my wife's has drums on the back, so it'd have to be the front ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Around 200 euro here in Naas would get them done P/M for details as I don't want to post phone no's.

Mr.David wrote: »
    Have a look yourself - feel the edge of the disc and if it has a large lip then it probably needs replacing.

Just to mention, do not attempt this after driving the car, the discs will be very very hot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

barney 20v wrote: »
    also check out www.toyodiy.com.. input your car details and instantly get euro prices for every part of your yaris! hope this helps,
    Barney.

Barney,

How did you find this? Is it up to date? I am finding it very confusing, just to try and gt simple brake disk or shoe, I have to go through entire assembly, bolts, washers etc. I looked up the price of my old Corolla 98 stereo, its coming in at over €700 when you add up all the bits ......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

gt112 wrote: »
    Barney,

How did you find this? Is it up to date? I am finding it very confusing, just to try and gt simple brake disk or shoe, I have to go through entire assembly, bolts, washers etc. I looked up the price of my old Corolla 98 stereo, its coming in at over €700 when you add up all the bits ......:eek:

I found it through www.ae111.co.uk they are a forum for toyota levin and trueno. it is bang up to date and if you have the chassis number of you toyota/lexus you can get a price for all parts down to the last nut.. i found the prices to be 95% accurate even though my car was a jap import.
    Parts such as steering wheels and stereos can be very expensive.
    Oh and all the diagrams on toyodiy are original toyota and accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Hey guys,

Update - brought my car into a garage today that I came across online who charged me €165 for brake discs and brake pads replacement. Happy days!!

Thanks again for yer help :)

Asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's a resonable price. It's a handy job to do, no need for those extortionate prices a lot of garages are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

barney 20v wrote: »
    Barney.

FWIW that site will give a euro price but a daft one. Some of the stuff on there is up to 5 times what the genuine part costs in a toyota dealership. I'd give them a miss!!

Advertisement