Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What way should i apply ? What grants?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Here is my story.

24 in Feb. Done 2 years in Wit and dropped out. Done a 2 year course in college of commerce finished last May.

I received redundancy from my part time job Oct 08.

I have been on welfare since may.

Heres my questions?

Should i apply for course through Cao or other routes?

What kind of grants may i receive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nix1

hi, apply through the CAO as a mature applicant, then you can apply to your local vec or county council(depending on the course youve applied for) for a grant which is means tested. you will be classed as a mature student so youd be entitled to a higher grant, and as you have been redundant and are now on social welfare you most likely would be entitled to the special rate top up grant aswell.
    because you have done undergraduate studies before you wont be eligible for free fees, but if you qualify for the grant this will cover the fees.
    you may also be entitled to the back to education allowance, ring citizens info to check eligibility. they base it on how long you have been on social welfare and what course you want to do.
    keep in mind that if you get this allowance you will not be entitled to the grant, this new rule was announced in d budget.
    best of luck and hope im not too confusing!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

nix1 wrote:
    keep in mind that if you get this allowance you will not be entitled to the grant, this new rule was announced in d budget.

:eek: what! - reference please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nix1

'Changes in Budget 2010

Budget 2010, which was announced on 9 December 2009, introduces several changes to student support schemes.
    • Student grants and scholarships will be reduced by 5%. This reduction will be implemented to all existing and new grant-holders from January 2010.
    • Support under the Millennium Partnership Scheme is being withdrawn.
    • People who are getting Back to Education Allowance will not be eligible for student support grants. However, this does not affect any entitlement they may have to exemption from college fees or student support charges.
    • People on Post-Leaving Certificate courses who are getting VTOS allowances will also be ineligible for student support grants. Again, this does not affect any entitlement they may have to exemption from college fees or student support charges.'
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/grants_and_funds_available_for_mature_students

also, thinking about it im not sure youd be entitled to BTEA unless the course your doing is a higher level than the qualification you already have.
    id say your best bet is to apply for the maintenance grant, hopefully youll get it so your fees will be covered, and you will get some money (either monthly or in 3 installments depending on which grant your on). the grant isnt that much though so u'd most likely need to work p/time to support yourself.

Advertisement