Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 updates

Options
  • 26-01-2010 11:07pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just ran windows update, after installing the 7 important updates my laptop (dell vostro,2years old,came with xp)my wireless connection refused to work,toolbar on the bottom of the screen lost colour and graphics,i uninstalled the 3 updates that were shown as installed to nite,all back to normal.
    If you are updating your older dell be carefull.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Can you find out the Microsoft KnowledgeBase numbers for these updates? It would help people know what to look out for. Avoiding updates on a general basis is a bad idea as this may leave you vulnerable to security exploits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The updates that were uninstalled were
    KB 972270
    KB 978207
    KB 977074

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

KB972270 - Relates to this bulletin, concerning potential remote-code-execution vulnerability in font. Rated critical!
    KB978207 - Relates to this bulletin, affecting all current versions of Internet Explorer. Rated critical!
    KB977074 - Fix relating to system stability.

Given that two of the three issues are rated critical and the second one is the patch released to fix the issue that was in the news recently as being used to compromise Google's systems, it is a very good idea to fix this.

Have a look at the links to the KB articles I've posted above, create a system restore point and install one at a time. If it completes correctly and the system works, create a new restore point and go to the next one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Thanks for that, I will get around to it at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Since installing the above update noticed massive drop in broadband speed. Rolled back the install and speed returned.
    M$ being over cautious???

• Advertisement
Advertisement