Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RSA Consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the sooner there introduced the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I think it's a sensible idea, nothing new to me since I drive a Volvo with beams on all the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, my case in an extreme example :D

The van is painted in matt camouflage green and the road to work leads trough forested and shaded areas on a narrow road.

When I first got the thing, I had near accidents / close shaves almost every second day where people would cut me off / not pull in / not slow down. Since the daytime running lights are up ...nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

peasant wrote: »
    Well, my case in an extreme example :D

The van is painted in matt camouflage green and the road to work leads trough forested and shaded areas on a narrow road.

When I first got the thing, I had near accidents / close shaves almost every second day where people would cut me off / not pull in / not slow down. Since the daytime running lights are up ...nothing.

You could try not driving on roads not flanked by shrubbery :)

I find lights a lot more dazzling in the daytime.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I find lights a lot more dazzling in the daytime.

I don't think that applies to specific DRL's
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286770&highlight=daytime+running+lights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its really bikers who would be against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The rsa page linked says studies have been done but there's no actual reference given. are they mocking us? or just muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The rsa page linked says studies have been done but there's no actual reference given. are they mocking us? or just muppets?
    They are all linked on p.18

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »

...and for the flimsiest of reasons. They want to keep their lights on but not have any cars doing it for some mistaken belief that if everyone had them on, you wouldn't notice the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Given that 10-20% of drivers haven't yet mastered the use of nighttime running lights, I'd say that they have a fair bit of work ahead of them.

• Advertisement

Given that 10-20% of drivers haven't yet mastered the use of nighttime running lights, I'd say that they have a fair bit of work ahead of them.

The beauty of DRL's is that they are always on as soon as you turn on the ignition

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MYOB wrote: »
    ...and for the flimsiest of reasons. They want to keep their lights on but not have any cars doing it for some mistaken belief that if everyone had them on, you wouldn't notice the lights.

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue itself, but never fool yourself into believing the average Irish motorist is capable of looking up a near empty road and seeing the motorbike driving down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cool, another law the RSA and Gardai won't enforce.

Also

"They're not fogs, they DRLs"

will become quite a common phrase I reckon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would assume it would simply be a requirement for new cars to have it as standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not all bikers though. :)

Its badly needed, alot of drivers on the road are almost afraid to turn on their lights - even during the night! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...er, a biker myself...........why ?
    MYOB wrote: »
    ..you obviously don't have a bike - or at least not for a while: bikes haven't had light switches for years, (and longer in the US). Headlight permanently on is mandatory in the EU, and there is no way to turn them off.

So if you wanna be-atch about it ;) please call 1-800-EU :)

Me, I like 'em, on 2 & 4 wheels.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My understanding is that the bikers tend to use DRLs and if everyone was using them then the bikers wouldn't be as visible as they are now.
    Search through any other DRL thread on here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My understanding is that the bikers tend to use DRLs and if everyone was using them then the bikers wouldn't be as visible as they are now.
    Search through any other DRL thread on here.

The visibility does NOT come from being the only thing lit up, though. Thats what bikers seem to believe, but its not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

They should be mandatory on all silver and light grey cars. Especially in our concrete laden suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

since the 90s(maybe even earlier) eircom had a policy that people driving company vehicles have there diped lights on even on a bright sunny day.
    this reduced the amount of RTA's the company had also most big transport companies when assessing drivers also check that your driving with the diped lights on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement