Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banned in Ireland. Can you drive in England?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

If you are banned from driving in Ireland, can you drive / get insured in England?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Surely you'd need a valid EU license to drive in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I don't think that loophole is fixed yet as it takes the government a while after they say they are going to solve it to when thy actually do.

Maybe by 2013

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Suppose you could if you started from scratch.

Loophole is due to be closed Feb 2010 sometime.

DfT UK
    DoT IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I don't think that loophole is fixed yet as it takes the government a while after they say they are going to solve it to when thy actually do.

Maybe by 2013

I think you are right Jimmy, re the insurance thats an interesting one, depends onhow the question is phrased.
    rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭6r4mad

all you need to do is get an address up the north and your sorted if you have friends or family up there im sure they'l let you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think you are right Jimmy, re the insurance thats an interesting one, depends onhow the question is phrased.

I don't think it does. Insurance generally requires you to bring any material facts to their attention rather than you relying on wordplay.

ardmacha wrote: »
    I don't think it does. Insurance generally requires you to bring any material facts to their attention rather than you relying on wordplay.

Your right on insurance. They always ask about previous convictions and will void your policy. While I said there was a loophole i never said it was "good", "right" or "wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't even want to say what I think of the OP because i'll just get banned, but WTF are people helping this guy obtain a UK driving licence???????

OP you do realise you'll have to go through the entire process of passing a theory test and practical in the UK to carry off this stunt.

eth0_ wrote: »
    I don't even want to say what I think of the OP because i'll just get banned, but WTF are people helping this guy obtain a UK driving licence???????

OP you do realise you'll have to go through the entire process of passing a theory test and practical in the UK to carry off this stunt.

Op never said anything about getting a licence or doing anything.

Usual motors thing ask a question receive a judgement. Weirdest motors forum iv ever been on.
    Maybe he was asking as he knew someone who did it. Maybe hes curious, Maybe hes one of those journalists that dont do research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

hblock21 wrote: »
    If you are banned from driving in Ireland, can you drive / get insured in England?
    OP, Yours signature says you are a Loss Assessor. While I know that relates to assessing property damage claims with insurers, your question shows little knowledge on the basics of the industry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Lad's, FFS. The OP's not said for one minute *they're* banned. It's just a question....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Maybe by 2013
    macplaxton wrote: »
    Suppose you could if you started from scratch.

Loophole is due to be closed Feb 2010 sometime.

DfT UK
    DoT IRL

The links refer to an agreement which allows a ban imposed by either country on a foreign licence to be also recognised in the licence holder's home country. In order words if you get banned abroad and you'll also be banned at home.

The OP's question is different. He's asking if an Irish driver gets banned in Ireland can he drive abroad. The answer is no because he no longer holds a valid full licence and therefore is not entitled to drive anywhere in the EU.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Op never said anything about getting a licence or doing anything.

well thats ok then :rolleyes:

Is the OP's question not much different to asking where you can download the latest warez and then claiming "but I didn;t actually download anything"

Seriously why are people helping him?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

eth0_ wrote: »

Cabaal wrote: »
    well thats ok then :rolleyes:

Is the OP's question not much different to asking where you can download the latest warez and then claiming "but I didn;t actually download anything"

Seriously why are people helping him?

I asked the question because someone I know went over to Kent to work a couple of weeks ago. He's planning to bring his car over next month. The catch is he's in court next month also, could be banned, don't know.

So from the answers that some nice people gave me, I take it he is banned in the UK too. Hence cant get insurance over there either. i.e. if he's caught over there, car will be impounded etc. Well he has to grow up some day! Maybe this will be the starting point!

That solves that then!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need to be a valid EU licence holder to drive in the UK. So if you've been banned from driving in Ireland, you do not hold a valid EU licence.

As the links above say, in about four days time it will not be possible for him to drive in the UK under *any* licence if he is disqualified from driving in Ireland, whereas previously this was technically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Perhaps all is not entirely lost. He won't be able to drive his car over because he's banned from driving without a valid EU license, however, if he's resident there he can apply to do the UK driving test and get a UK license*. That will take time but I expect it will be shorter than the current ban. Until then he'll just have to suffer public transport.

*Unless there's some rule that says you can only have one EU licence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

slimjimmc wrote: »
    *Unless there's some rule that says you can only have one EU licence.

There is a rule that says you can only have one EU licence......sometimes abused.

Advertisement