Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valid case for the PRTB?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi there,
    We are in dispute with our landlord over the oil boiler in the house we are renting from him.
    The boiler is missing a thermostat control knob which we have repeatedly asked him to get fixed onto the control panel of the boiler.
    Since we got a fill of oil in November we had been having trouble with the boiler locking out.
    We called the landlord up and he got at it with a pliers to turn the thermostat up on it as he claimed this could be why its shutting off. He said he turned it up slightly and sure enough it came back on. About an hour after he left the heating locked out again. So he told me to reset and try again and he would call a plumber to come see the boiler.
    Three weeks of having to reset the boiler every time it locked out passed and a plumber arrived to have a look.
    The boiler had been fixed to 90 C and he said this was probably why it was shutting off as it overheated.
    He turned it down to "65" he guessed. He had to guess as I mentioned before there is no thermostat control knob.
    We hit the cold snap then in December and were using the oil heating daily, then suddenly it ran out which we weren't expecting as we had gotten a full tank and it was gone in 2mths! We weren't overusing it or leaving it on all night or anything, so we assumed the heating being up at 90C had something to do with it :rolleyes:

Anyway, we went and got ourselves ANOTHER fill of oil - pricey straight after Christmas !!
    The boiler then wouldn't fire up and went into lockout again. .so we called the landlord, who said, "its not my problem , you let the oil run out so its your responsibility to get a plumber out to fix it not mine"
    He then told us if we didn't like it we could contact the council or move out.

We are under the RAS scheme. I contacted the council and they told me that it was between us and the landlord :rolleyes:

We can't afford to pay for a plumber. Due to the landlords error in the first place we wasted most of our oil - and there is still no thermostat control on the front of the boiler either :mad:
    If he sent up a plumber to affix a control to the boiler, it wouldnt take him five minutes to get the boiler started again. I am not confident to follow online instructions to do this myself. :D

To top it off, the landlord got the roof fixed in early december as there was a substantial leak in the roof leaking through the interior ceiling of our bedroom and causing black mould.
    We only moved in in August and the leak was preexisting and had been painted over to conceal the damage but never fixed.
    He has not rectified the mould damage on the interior.

Do we have a case here to bring to the PRTB? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I would focus on the mould - that is more clear cut than the reasons why the oil ran out so quickly.

Mould is a reason to move out.

Advertisement