Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 26-01-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

I've a full license with an automatic restriction placed on it. I also have a license from New Zealand (taken in a manual), but as of yet, that doesn't count for anything here in Ireland.

My husband is planning on buying a manual car. While I understand if I were to drive the manual, I'd have to go through the whole learner permit process again (with the exception of the test), and display 'L' plates, and take the full license test again, what would happen with my insurance? I have comprehensive insurance on the automatic I drive, but surely would I need a different policy under my learner permit on the manual IF I were to drive it?

Anyone had any experience with this? Quite honestly I might just drive the automatic and be driven around in the manual by OH if it's too difficult. I'm getting a bit sick of going through the driving testing process!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If I understand correctly you have your own automatic car with your own insurance and this would not change.

If you want to be insured on your husband's manual car then the policy would be in his name and you would be a named driver - in this case the licence details you would be giving to the insurance company would be your new Learner Permit.

You could still drive your own automatic car without change but if you were driving the manual you would need to comply with the rules for displaying of L-Plates and accompanying driver etc.

Advertisement