Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll - Where are ye from & what's you fishy pref !

Options
  • 26-01-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Ok just trying to find out your main fishing preference & rough idea of location to see if we can look at meets/local knowledge etc.

Feel free just to answer the poll if you want your location to remain private, or equally follow up with a post giving whatever you wish, even if its just specific preference ie: deep sea, inshore, beach, pier etc.

For the Pike lads out there - not meant to exclude you, but just wanted to keep the poll as short as poss - please add a post stating just Pike if you don't do the Coarse 'thang'

Where & What 41 votes

Munster - Coarse/Pike
    0% 0 votes
    Munster - Sea
    2% 1 vote
    Munster - Game
    4% 2 votes
    Leinster - Coarse/Pike
    7% 3 votes
    Leinster - Sea
    17% 7 votes
    Leinster - Game
    12% 5 votes
    Connaght - Coarse/Pike
    39% 16 votes
    Connaght - Sea
    7% 3 votes
    Connaght - Game
    0% 0 votes
    Ulster - Coarse/Pike
    4% 2 votes
    Ulster - Sea
    4% 2 votes
    Ulster - Game
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'll start the ball rolling - I'm Cork based, coarse & Pike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I ticked Leinster - Game, because that's where I trout fish.
    But that's summer fishing.
    The winter I'm leinster based pike and sea

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

West cork, salmon and sea trout (7 or so weeks to the start:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm based in Cork city but spend a good bit of time in south Kerry fishing too so have knowledge of both if anyones planning a trip later on! :)

Mostly I fly fish for brownies and seatrout in both areas in lakes and rivers.

For sea fishing love rock hopping in Kerry after anything really with light spinning rod and have started a bit of fly fishing off the rocks with mixed success. For some reason I cant catch anything from a beach - just jinxed when it comes to beach fishing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

good post,

i am dublin based, but mostly fish,
    Sheelin, very regurarly.
    Corrib.
    Carra.
    sometimes O flynn.
    Owel and Ennell not so much now but in the past.
    Galway weir.
    Drowse.
    Fane.
    Moy.
    Blackwater, only very occasionally.
    Boyne, Dee, Liffey and Slaney sadly in the past, now not any more.
    Some carp, tench and pike fishing now and again.
    And a good few others as one offs not mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ingenuist

Bohernabreena reservoir for trout in the season, dun laoighre and killiney off season

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Although i voted as a Leinster game fisher, every open season i travel to many other parts of the country to fish. In the close season i fly fish for pike and also i fish some of the private fisheries for stocked trout. I also sea fish through out the year i.e. beach fishing and spinning from rocks.

wgsten

isupportcatchandrelease.jpg

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Ok another blonde moment...game fishing is fly fishing right:p

Though originally from down south, I'm now here in the big smoke!!

So far I've done Rathbeggan,Annamore,along the Dodder,and my secret spot down along the IFSC which is in fact useless I think:mad:

Roll on the fishing season

Lb

not totally correct but you are nearly there. Tradtionally In Ireland game fishing is generally described as fishing for brown trout, salmon and seatrout (i suppose nowadays you could add rainbow trout to that list but they are not native to this land) I dont believe it matters if you fly fish, spin or use bait, they are still classified as game fish. in the traditional sense game reffers to being edible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yep, game or coarse refers to the type of fish you go after. With sea fish I think people either just classify it as general sea fishing or else refer to the individual species (although I think bass are sometimes percieved as the "game" fish of the sea). Then there's pike, which fall somewhere between game and coarse. Most people don't eat pike, but fishing for them can be very similar to game fishing.

Fly fishing is a method, it is normally more associated with game fishing, but can be used for pike, coarse and sea fishing as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I tend to do mostly sea fishing with bait around Leinster but do travel a lot between Wexford and cork

I also do some lure fishing for bass, I'm going to try fly fishing for Bass this year,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭joesoap007

louth piker here,,nothing like hitng the boyne river,,9 times outa 10 you blank,but when you hook up it all ways a nice fish,,pikers have it to ourselfs tink its still closed trout and salmon men, havin seen any dead pike on the bank in ages,so i hope it stays shut for a few more years do the pike no harm,,coarse fishing is second for me love the feeder rod,,had to pack up a few months ago kept hooking what think were young sea trout or salmon ,and that never happed before so i hope the river back at its bestsoon

i allways catch and release

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gercon2009

Leinster beach fishing for me and fish all down a long the coast to kerry as well .Great poll by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Leitrim.....Melvin mostly and a few other locals....trout.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

Hi, new here. Sea fishing during the closed season and a bit of d aul flyfishing after march

wheres all the lads from the west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Dublin.. mostly sea fishing (with the odd bit of trout thrown in for fun) but always on the fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Leinster based. Troutys on me local river (which I shan't be foolish enough to name ;)) & a bit of pleasure coarse angling during the finer months for auld times sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

From Offaly,
    fish for trout on the fly in season and then in July/august i change to mostly perch, roach and bream. In the winter i change to pike. Dont get out as much as id like though anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

wheres all the lads from the west?

North Galway - Pike City!

Why is my province spelt wrong in this poll?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 maigheo

salmon and sea trout on the moy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

maigheo wrote: »
    salmon and sea trout on the moy

How are the sea trout numbers on the west now? Up, down, no change etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 maigheo

fontanalis wrote: »
    How are the sea trout numbers on the west now?

it was quite good until 2007. past two years have been poor but you will still get the odd week here and there. hopefully they will be back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Everett

lienster sea

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

athlone... trout and pike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Mayo - mostly sea and game. Will be trying for pike this winter as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Game west and south
    Sea south
    pike west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bullmastiff

Leinster, coarse, & sea when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Mainly pike with some coarse and fly for both pike and trout mixed in there too but will try anything.
    Go out for the macks every year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Did a good bit of fishing (sea and trout) when growing up in Wexford. Moved to Sligo about 3 years ago but just got started fishing up here this year. Do a bit of sea fishing and I've started fly fishing around some of the small lakes up here. Still haven't managed to catch a trout on the fly - hoping to catch one before the end of the season. I'm also planning on trying to fish for pike this winter.

Advertisement