Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon levels around Limerick?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

There seems to have been a Radon awareness campaign over the past few days with a number of Media articles such as this.

Anyone know if there are any areas around Limerick City and County that are known to have high Radon levels?

I clicked on my own area here and got this:
    Between one and five per cent of the homes in this 10km grid square are estimated to be above the Reference Level

The higher end of that scale suggests that in around 1 in every 20 Homes in my Neighbourhood the occupants are unknowingly sucking in a colourless, odourless, tasteless radioactive gas day on day and night on night with Lung Cancer being the main concern alongside possible Leukaemia and MS concerns.....

Anyone ever gotten their home tested?

- I'd be interested in recommendations and likely costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    There seems to have been a Radon awareness campaign over the past few days with a number of Media articles such as this.

Anyone know if there are any areas around Limerick City and County that are known to have high Radon levels?

The higher end of that scale suggests that in around 1 in every 20 Homes in my Neighbourhood the occupants are unknowingly sucking in a colourless, odourless, tasteless radioactive gas day on day and night on night with Lung Cancer being the main concern alongside possible Leukaemia and MS concerns.....

I've not gotten the place tested but I do know there is a handy sensor type thing that you can stick to your wall and if it detects high levels of radon it changes colour. I've seen them in use in other houses and they don't look like they would be at all expensive. Newer build homes, in high radon areas (and possibly all new builds) would have been built incoporating a radon barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »

I must admit that it caught my attention too.

The Limerick readings bother me a bit, because there is no reading station anywhere in Limerick city or Limerick county. The nearest one is just outside Ennis and the next one is just outside Cork City.

Nowhere in the counties of Limerick and Tipperary is there a monitoring station, so that casts doubt in my mind as to the levels in those counties.

Using the site you gave a link to, the areas with the lower readings are the ones that generally don't have active monitoring equipment, yet almost every area that does have monitoring equipment seems to be in the 10% to 20% bracket.

I would be thinking along the lines that anywhere without a set monitoring area is only listed as low because of the fact it is not checked properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well to get your own 3 month, lab tested reading seems to cost ~€50 so I suppose there's no excuse not to get it done.

- If anyone can recommend some Company or another I'll sign up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

In my area its 1-5% but the area to the west of the cement factory is lethal! And parts of clare seem fair bad too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    In my area its 1-5% but the area to the west of the cement factory is lethal! And parts of clare seem fair bad too

Yeah but in Clare would probably fall within the range of the Clare monitoring equipment, so would probably be fairly accurate.

I just find it odd that most of the areas that are listed as low risk are the areas that do not have a dedicated monitoring station. Looking at their map and site it seems that alow risk area is just not a well monitored area.

Methinks I will be spending the 50 quid to get the pack for testing my house to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

We had some of those stick-on units placed around where I work on the dock rd over 16 months ago.They collected them after a month and we heard nothing since.At my home ,I had an extension built 4 years ago and the builder placed a plastic tank in the sub floor and with an outlet pipe which he said was part of the planning code for radon .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Can I bump this to ask if there's anyone around the City or County who has had works carried out on an existing House to protect against Radon?

- Houses built before a certain time would have had no protection etc. After the event you'd be n the territory of constructing a sump with associated active/passive venting and placing Radon Barriers over all floors separately as comprehensively as is possible.

Advertisement