Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to London...

Options
  • 26-01-2010 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey I'm heading to london for the weekend, just wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a whelans-esque venue for saturday night?

Any help much appreciated! :D
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

http://www.myspace.com/scaredtodanceclub

Heard good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Carling academy in islington North London

The Underword in Camden / in fact there are a lot of cool music venues around camden - head up there and you might be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This could actually turn into a very helpful thread. I was in London in October, wish I'd thought of doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Green Note in Camden Town is a lovely spot. It's a very small pub/restaurant and they've got live music most nights of the week. They serve vegetarian food only, and also have a very nice organic beer on tap (beware). I was only there once, but thought it was a class little place. It's definitely worth checking out their gig listing, or just dropping in if you're in the area..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

The Macbeth in Hoxton plays pretty good music and isn't too expensive. Or the Old Blue Last in Shoreditch can be quite fun. If you're a student, After School in Holborn is very cheap and I've always had a good night there. It used to be in LSE but I've been told it's moved to a larger venue. Still in Holborn though

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention, you'll hear people mentioning Koko in Camden, since it's such a large club, but it's rather ****e tbh. Venue's poorly laid out, lose your friends and you won't find them for the rest of the night, the only beers they sell are sold in cans, not pints or bottles and the music is fairly poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There's an XFM all day showcase of 'next big thing' type bands in the Camden Barfly all day on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stonypockets

Hehe, yeah, I went last september and we didnt have a clue where to go!!

We're a group of 23-30 yo's so we're hoping to avoid student-y spots! :) thanks everyone for your help so far!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i think the borderline would suit you. it's nice and central, very easy to get to, the music is good, and the crowd is always good. great spot on a saturday night.

http://www.ents24.com/web/venue/London/The-Borderline-1720.html

although, if you wanted cheap booze, you could try kings college students union, and laugh at those students while you buy so much cheap (subsidised) beer and they think you're class. it's more indie and obscure than borderline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

The Underworld - Camden - Just near the tube station

Hoxton Bar and Grill - Hoxton Square in Islington

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

madame jojos in soho is a good spot too. Randomly stumbled in there one year and foals were doin a dj set ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stonypockets

Thanks for all your help guys, in the end went to borderline, was the handiest for where we were staying and where we were before going out on saturday!

Twas a great night! Just what we were looking for, good music and a very chilled out crowd! Would recommend it again! :) Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Been there on a Saturday night but really want to check it out on a Friday night too.

Seems like I'd prefer to tunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

basically get the tude to Camden and stroll around there great little town!!

+ 24 hour cake shop!! hmm and 'free' buses haha

Advertisement