Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Janelle Shopping center?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember Janelles in finglas? what memories do you have of it, what shops do you remember etc?

I remember that big waterfall thing in the middle of the shopping center with a travel center facing it lol:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Crazy Prices where it was just boxes of stock they rarly put items on shelf just left them in boxes the maasie shopped there every saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dunkin Donuts was there, wasn't it where Tesco Clearwater is now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭celica1994

ha i remember dunken doughnouts alright, i wonder why there isnt any of them left in ireland anymore? yea tescos is where it is now except i dont understand how, the old shopping center was no the far left of the grounds and went much further back yet the new tescos is much further right of the grounds and goes futher back lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

celica1994 wrote: »
    ha i remember dunken doughnouts alright, i wonder why there isnt any of them left in ireland anymore?

Lyons owned the franchise here in Ireland and the bakery was in Ballyfermot. I think it just eventually didn't earn enough money for them and it was scaled down to a few little places in petrol stations before eventually disappearing altogether.

yea i remember my sister working in the maxol station on the navan road (called Jet station back then lol) and they sold dunken doughnuts, although mind you, she told me a few scare storys about them like the thing the doughnuts were in attracting ants and such, mind you, she still always brought them home lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

Wednesday night was super crazy night, and they used to have bargains that would often lead to near riots. I remember pinching stuff out of other peoples trolles if there was no bargains left on the shelves.

I also remember a guy waking around with a microphone talking to all the women, and giving them free cups and stuff. Didnt they have a little radio booth in Super Crazy prices?

Ambulances were often seen there on Wednesdays.

And the cobblers just outside the entrance. Oh and a restaurant behind the fountain plant thing that did a brilliant all day breakfast.

ha, all the shops i can remember -

1. shoe shop at enterance
    2. butchers
    3. newsagents at front.
    4. pharmacy
    5. sum sort of clothes shop
    6. sweet shop.
    7. travel agents
    8. sum kind of d.i.y shop
    9. laundrette.
    10. sport shop.
    11. cafe
    12. crazy prices
    13. cinema (outside)
    14. dunken doughnuts
    15. arcade (outside)
    16. small kind of gardening d.i.y center (outside)

There were more shops but i cant remember them, i can picture where they all were in my head, keep in mind this was back in around 1990 when i was 5 years old. the last time i was in the janelle center was when i was 15, just before it closed down, im not sure exactally when it closed down but i remember most of the shops were gone out of it or closed down. id love to see sum pictures of it, if any exsist! lol ya gotta rememember the crazy bus... ran through cabra, was free at first, then eventually they started charging 10P the bastards lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The Cinema

I remember it was a 2screen dump and a magnet for scumbags. Despite it being my closest cinema as a kid I only went a handful of times during it's existence as there was inevitably always knackers down the back of the auditorium making noise and trouble (no staff ever came by to shut them up either). I reckon 1995 (Batman Forever) was the last time I was in the place. (iirc Young Einstein 1989 was prob the first time and I remember distinctly that didn't even want to see it - BTTF2 was sold out .... so the place even got off to a bad start for me! :mad: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 s_upergirl

My granny lived in Cabra & when we went to stay we used to get the 'crazy bus' to janelle - remember the waterfall in the middle of the shopping centre - but the highlight for us was always the bus - tragic I know!!:)

ha, i know what ya mean, going on that bus was so much fun back in the day lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

didn't flatten it fast enough:eek::eek:

i was on a cabra facebook thing and sumone posted this blast from the past picture - lol -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I have no feckin idea why but this place popped into my head today. I googled it (as you do) and found this thread. It seems im not the only one thinking of it.....

I grew up in Finglas West and I can remeber......

Crazy Prices and the bus
    An arcade (never went in tho)
    Cinema (like others, only went there a handful of times, I remeber see all dogs go to heaven)
    Some wallpaper place
    The water feature yoke in the middle
    An electronics shop near there in the centre
    Cafe near the water feature thing too
    The bus driver that let me sit in the drivers seat and paniced when he realized I knew how to take off the the handbrake haha (i was probably 8 or 9)
    Nice ice cream place too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Re-animating this thread (well it is all things retro!), came across this on the RTE archive, news footage about the opening of the Janelle Shopping centre.

I wondered where the name came from at the time, apparently it's because it's on the ground of an old clothing factory that shut down, Janelle Clothing, hence the name.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0328/863138-finglas-gets-new-shopping-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Re-animating this thread (well it is all things retro!), came across this one the RTE archive, news footage about the opening of the Janelle Shopping centre.

I wondered where the name came from at the time, apparently it's because it's on the ground of an old clothing factory that shut down , Janelle Clothing, hence the name.

Just noticed my dad being interviewed in that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

haha gas, i was only talking about the Janelle the other day!
    i remember going there quite a bit as a kid - used to go to the cinema ALL the time up there, saw a couple of youngfellas run amok in there once or twice, pulling out all the old fashioned rolls of tickets from the desk and kind of "TP'ing" all over place. went outside after the film and there was thousands of tickets flying all over the carpark!!

i remember it well - the red metal/wooden bridge over the waterfall feature in the middle, crazy prices and LOADS of oul wans with those pram trolleys for their shopping and scarves over the heads. hahaha gas kip.

anyone any photos of it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Re-animating this thread (well it is all things retro!), came across this on the RTE archive, news footage about the opening of the Janelle Shopping centre.

I wondered where the name came from at the time, apparently it's because it's on the ground of an old clothing factory that shut down, Janelle Clothing, hence the name.

About 36 seconds in, did that young fella just spit in the fountain? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Sort of..it,it was a clothes factory that's on the site of an old mansion called Janelle.

Advertisement