Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New family car

Options
  • 25-01-2010 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys

Been looking around for a couple of months about getting a new (2nd hand) car. I've a budget of around 10 - 12k (max) and was previously driving a Focus. Ideally I'm looking for a saloon / maybe a hatchback as I've 2 children, one of who is still in a car seat.

I had been looking at Accords, but not crazy about them and a guy I know has had nothing but trouble with one. I was thinking of getting a 05 / 06 Passat 2.0 FSI. Are these decent cars? Anything in particular I should look out for, I think everyones aware of their poxy timing belt schedule, so anything around 60k should of had it done?

I probably only do around 10-12k miles per annum so a diesel probably aint worth the extra cost. I definitely want something with a bit of poke in it and amn't really bothered about engine size. I'll pay a bit more for something nice to drive. Ideally I dont want a pov spec either, leather would be nice (but not the be all and end all), but definitely do not want some sh!tty spec.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

personally i always liked the looks of the 05 onwards model passat until i owned one (06 tdi) which turned out to be a total disaster,constant problems requiring the car to be towed back to a garage fuel pump failure x2, electronic handbrake not releasing , exhaust got flooded with oil,turbo failed and they were only the big problems constant small things going wrong with the car,electric windows/mirrors giving up creaky dashboard irritating the hell outta me and many more,i would of recommended a skoda superb but theyre mostly diesels which you say your not really too interested in getting,i personally quite like the look of mondeos and considering you had a focus it should be something your well used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

If you found the Accord a bit too big you could have a look at the Civic saloon? Very well equipped, roomy and with a 1.8L engine (140 BHP) so it would be pokey enough for what you want I'd imagine.

A 2006 model would probably come in around 10-12K. Tax on that year would be a dog though (560 Euro) although they give 40+ mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Thanks for the reply Triple-M.

Some of the problems you mentioned are specific to the diesel (turbo etc), in general are the petrols considered more reliable?
    Quite a list of issues though you had, and would put me off them a little to be honest.
    I was thinking of the Mondeo, I just feel like I'd like something decently specc'd and most Mondeos aint. The nice ST model is a diesel which I'm not really keen on. Its kind of the same for the Mazda 6, gets great reviews but just looks so plain or something.... Childish I know, but wouldn't mind something a little bit nice to look at, especially inside the cabin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Cant really go wrong with a Mondeo imo. Depreciation makes them good value for money. It's just the large supply brings down prices. Or maybe a Focus C-Max. You may well get a more favourable cost to change from a Ford dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Op I had a 06 passat tdi for just under 2 years. It was a great car, good poke and comfortable to drive.

Actual reliability of the engine was 100%. The only things I experienced were 1 warranty replacement of the steering wheel lock / electronic ignition and the fuel pump was replaced during a re-call of the car for that specific problem.

Timing belt was done at 92k KM (100Km is the deadline) so she'd be good till around 190k. I only put 18k KM on her. I traded her in a few weeks back but unfortunately it looks like the garage in question have already sold it. They had it up for 10,500 which is a bargin IMO.

There are bora's out there for the sort of money you're talking about and older A4s, but it all depends on what you fancy really.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

I'm sort of in a similar position to the OP, looking for a new family type car. I also drive an old Focus saloon and to be honest with just two kids I dont think there is a particularly large amount of space in the back. 9 yr old doesn't have much leg-room behind the drivers seat for example.

How is the new hatchback model Civic for space (particularly rear space)?

Sorry to thread hijack!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks,

I cant speak for the Civic Hatchback but I currently own a 06 Honda Civic Saloon model and I cant praise them high enough...

Advantages:

Drive: Great car to drive with plenty of poke in the 1.8l engine
    Room: plenty of room I'm 6ft4 drive with the seat back full and an adult can sit comfortably behind me so a 9 year old should have no problem..
    Note: more room in back of civic than the accord and this is down to the larger seats in the accord taking up the room..
    Plenty of room in boot to take all our gear and babys gear plus the golf clubs for a weekend away.
    Fully loaded spec: with sunroof, cd changer, alloys, air con etc
    Fuel consumption: had the 1.4 civic before hand and this car is more economical...

Disadvantages:
    Petrol car: So cost abit more to run
    tax: Is 560 year

Saying that I'm in the process of trading my civic saloon in for another 10 model at end of feb so if you would like to make me an offer for a black 06 civic 70k KM on the clock fell free to pm me..:)

Thanks
    Kev

Advertisement