Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how old is too old

Options
  • 25-01-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

thinking of applying for nursing (mature) i am 46. am i too old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

No such thing as too old:)

If you are interested in doing the course then you will be judged on your merits alone, and age should not come into it.

So, if you're interested, go for it, you've got nothing to lose, and you're never too old for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 superreds

No such thing as too oldsmile.gif

If you are interested in doing the course then you will be judged on your merits alone, and age should not come into it.

So, if you're interested, go for it, you've got nothing to lose, and you're never too old for anything.

thanks for the positive feed back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

You're only too old when you are no longer physically capable of doing whatever it is you want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I know people in their 40's doing Medicine, Nursing, Physio and OT.

Make of that what you will. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

superreds wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

GO FOR IT:) In four year times you could be responsible for saving someone's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Thats not even old dude/dudette.
    I went back as a mature student at 25, there were 3 people on the course over 55.
    Go for it, even if you were 75, as long as the mind is workin, its easily done!

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

Totally agree. You're never too old to do what makes you happy. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

When I was in College in Nuig there was a woman in my class with a passion for learning in her early 70s (looked a lot younger though) and she graduated! Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

No idea what course but the oldest student starting in UCD this year was 83

46 isn't old nowadays no matter what you're talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I'm 30 myself and over the last few months I knew I wanted to go to uni in sept, so i went to a few returning to edu workshops for mature students here in Ennis, the first night, they had a big document projected to the wall...struck a chord with me, and eased my apprehensions about going back.....

..It's never too late to be what you could of been....!

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nix1

id say go for it, i wouldnt consider you old neway :)
    and if your concern is that u might feel out of place or alot older than fellow students, i wouldnt worry. the course im on at the moment has a higher percentage of mature students, quite a few of them would be your age and alot older.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 superreds

Thanks for all the positive replies,CAO sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Hi Superreds,

You are definately not too old, My application gone off to cao for mature nursing and I'm 41 with 3 kids.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 betsyanne

I totally agree with the other posters. You are definitely NOT too old to go back to school. Good luck with your nursing application. I hope you decide to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

If nursing is anything like my course that would make you one of the younger mature students. Theres quite a large group of older students chipping away, becoming what they want to be.

Imagine if you said "nah, i am too old" it would be the biggest regret of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

My mother did nursing. Never did any third level before and was about your age.
    Best thing she ever did. She's a nurse now and I'm hugely proud of her.

Advertisement