Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linking pc to ps3

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

i want to setup 'tversity' or similar on my pc to share movies etc. with my ps3.
    Can i use a simple crossover cable to do this,or even an old eircom router to make the connection.
    i don't have a network/broadband or anything and i want a hard-wired connection preferably for simplicity thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

yeah a crossover cable to the pc will work fine, or even a straight through if it's a relatively recent PC.

You'll need to assign an IP address to the PC & the PS3...the easiest way would be to switch on internet connection sharing on your internet connection (do you use a modem?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

1 have a 3pay usb modem and a newish pc.(a dell core 2 duo)
    should i use a crossover cable then?
    what are the exact steps to setup if it's straightforward thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

youcan use either a crossover or straight through - try whatever you have but your pc sounds recent enough to support either cable type.

To switch on internet connection sharing, use either of the following pages depending on your os:

XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

The connection you'll want to share is your 3pay connection. By sharing it, you'll setup your PC with a lan IP address, and it will give the PS3 a lan IP address through DHCP. As an added bonus, you'll also give the ps3 internet connectivity...

Once you have that setup, you could use media sharing in windows media player, but to be honest tversity or twonkymedia is better...

ok thanks ill give it a go when i get the chance

got that working -no bother even made my own patch cable:D
    just concerned about the 'unregulated' browsing on the ps3(young kids)
    can i disable the browser or setup the sharing another way without too much hassle

• Advertisement
Advertisement