Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing Van Rust

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there,
    I bought a van recently. It has some rust spots that are visible on the outside at the side.
    It drives perfectly fine and passed the doe without any trouble last year, however, I'm a bit worried about it this year as a friend told me that rust is a fail.

Does anybody know what the story is with rust and the DOE?

And does anybody know a good and hopefully easy enough way of getting rid of the rust DIY style?

Thanks for all replies in advice - VERY much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

...does anybody know a good and hopefully easy enough way of getting rid of the rust DIY style?

A grinder, some rust inhibitor, filler, primer and paint, good as new. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

^^^
    Depends on how fancy the car is. Once you paint it yourself it can be tricky to get it perfect. If that's not an issue then go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres a difference between surface rust and structural rust...only the latter would be a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Michael1987

Those replies were extremely helpful - thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Michael1987

If it's a fort transit van, white - what kind of paint and primers etc would I need? Any recommendations for products??

• Advertisement
Advertisement