Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Psychology UCC

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there,
    Just hoping to get some feedback/info on the above course!

Is there a lot of competition for a place?

What exactly will you be qualified to do on completion (assuming you become member of Psychological Society of Ireland)?

Thanks for suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

You will be entitled to apply for post-grad psychology study. Basically a H Dip is a way of converting you BA qualification to a different area. I'm a psychotherapist not a psychologist, but I can tell you that if you want to work as any type of psychologist you will need post-grad study. The psychologists here can tell you more but if your looking at doing clinical work as a psychologist, its basically the first step on a long road. I don't know what the entery procedure is like so I can only give you some info on the second part of your question.

What area are you interested in, that may help people here give you better advice. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fembo

To be honest, I was originally looking at the paths that lead toward psychotherapy, but as I am only 23 I thought that this may be a positive step in that direction. I know that once you start down this kind of road, you will fall into areas you become more interested in. I want to work in the mental health sector, but I don't want to invest time or money into courses "just for the sake of it". So I'm trying to suss out all of my options before starting anything!

Fembo wrote: »
    To be honest, I was originally looking at the paths that lead toward psychotherapy, but as I am only 23 I thought that this may be a positive step in that direction. I know that once you start down this kind of road, you will fall into areas you become more interested in. I want to work in the mental health sector, but I don't want to invest time or money into courses "just for the sake of it". So I'm trying to suss out all of my options before starting anything!

In that case I would suggest the above course as the best option. Anyone who asks me now about becoming a psychotherapist, I always suggest going down the psychology road.

It is not the route I took and I gald my degree and masters are in psychoanalysis, however, having a psychology degree opens more doors for you around study options. I know few clinical psychologists who most work psychoanalytically, but they can get better positions within organisations that I could. Also within organisations the pay is better than a psychologist than a psychotherapist. I myself regularly think about doing a degree or a H Dip in psychology.

If you want to work clinically, you are starting out on a long road with many junctions, god knows where you will turn, so in my opinion the H Dip would be a good start on that journey. I certainally wouldn't see it as a waste of time of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hi Fembo,

I know a lot about this course, but I don't want to go into too many details on thread. Feel free to PM me and I'll answer as many questions as I can.

There is a lot of competition to get on the course. The successful candidates have usually studied some level of psychology previously (perhaps as a minor in Arts, for example). Many have degrees or post grads in relevant areas, or have done work experience in the area.

You will end up with the equivalent of a BA in applied psychology. You can do whatever an AP graduate can. The qualification is recognised by the PSI and the BPS.

Like I said, please PM me if you'd like more specific details.

I have no doubts that the above would be a great foundation for such a career, however I'm anxious that after spending so much on a course that I will still be virtually unemployable . I am 23 so finances are of course a concern, so I want to get the most out of whatever course I do!

Do you think I would be better off with somewhere like The Counselling Centre, where I will actually be qualified to do something when I graduate?

• Advertisement

I have no doubts that the above would be a great foundation for such a career, however I'm anxious that after spending so much on a course that I will still be virtually unemployable . I am 23 so finances are of course a concern, so I want to get the most out of whatever course I do!

Do you think I would be better off with somewhere like The Counselling Centre, where I will actually be qualified to do something when I graduate?

Any links to the course? You will be on a long road either way, but I understand your point of needing to earn a living.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/psych/

The above is the link to the above course.

I've heard some things about the Counselling Centre that have really put me off it to be honest, am now investigating PCI. Sooo many different avenues....

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/psych/

The above is the link to the above course.

I've heard some things about the Counselling Centre that have really put me off it to be honest, am now investigating PCI. Sooo many different avenues....

I was looking for to this Counselling Centre, if you hearing iffy things be careful. I have so issues around PCI but I think it can be safely said their courses are good. I occassion come accross some of their students and it most cases I was impressed at their level of knowledge and skills in relation to where they where in their studies.

Advertisement