Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new Volvo S40 from the north

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

hi guys,

i've been looking at a volvo s40 for a while now. previously looking at an '06 1.6D which would be between 11,000 - 14,000 euro.

i noticed a brand new S40 up north for £13518, with €3594 VRT so would work out about just under €19000 72mpg and i would have a brand new car
    http://www.agnewcars.com/scrappageofferdetails.asp?SpecialOfferID=429

the only catch is to avail of the UK scrappage scheme your old banger (which i have one) needs to be UK registered, fair enough.

Does anyone know how much it costs to register a car up north and if i did would they take that for the scrappage or would it need to be registered for over 10 years. I have a friend up in belfast who would allow me to use his address.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

I think you'd have to also pay VAT on the car on top of the VRT when a car is less that 6 months old or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Don't forget about VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd imagine the new car would have to be registered in the UK to avail of their scrappage scheme. It might be worth looking into whether you could scrap your banger here and claim the refund on VRT against the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

cheers guys never even thought of that.

you reckon i could pretend to living up north for the 6 months but have the car down here. much chance of getting caught??

beginning to think its not worth all the hassle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you have a banger look around here, there are some amazing deals at the moment. Family member just bought a €19K car for €14.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ciaran75 wrote: »
    you reckon i could pretend to living up north for the 6 months but have the car down here. much chance of getting caught??
    I hope not, tax evasion is stealing from us. Encouraging it is also against the charter, so let's just leave it at that.

Advertisement