Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car... dodgy foreign numbers

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can someone please advise me. I am selling a car (2002 reg). I have put an ad in Carzone and have received a number of replies from foreign emails/people. That's fine and I have no issue with anyone from wherever buying it. It's just the tone of their emails seem a bit dodgy and I want to know has anyone any words of warning?

Also: The NCT test runs out in February. I am leaving the country in April and so want to sell it by then. It has previously passed the last 2 NCTs, first time, both times with clean bill of health should I bother passing it again or leave it to the next owner to take care of?

Any (useful) words of advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

A car thats has a new NCT is worth a few hundred more than a car without, so for €50 its well worth it.

Ignore all funny number and emails. Nearly all of them will be either time-wasters or scam artists of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

put it through the NCT, greatly enhances the sale-ability of the car with a full NCT

As for the foreign numbers, usually a scam, they send you a cheque thats over the asking price and ask you to send the difference back, meanwhile there cheque bounces and your out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Have you got a link to the Car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

When I buy a car I always ring the seller, I never email or text them.
    Also when I sell a car i expect the buyer to ring me, not text or email me. My response to text messages is If you can't afford to ring me then you can't afford the car.
    Also as mentioned emails are usually a scam, think about it, someone is offering to buy a car they havent seen.
    Good luck with your sale, im sure your wise enough not to fall for a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

When I buy a car I always ring the seller, I never email or text them.
    Also when I sell a car i expect the buyer to ring me, not text or email me. My response to text messages is If you can't afford to ring me then you can't afford the car.

jaysus.. I hope I never have to work with you.

Its 2010 now, not 1910. We use electronic communication in a different way now...

Anyway OP, yeah defo stay away from those foreign buyers unless you can talk and meet them in person. At the moment I know of a car that was sold to a guy in the UK. He came over to collect it and paid in cash. So just air on the side of caution with foreign transactions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Its 2010 now, not 1910. We use electronic communication in a different way now...
    True, but a potential buyer can learn so much more on the phone than by email/text.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Lol, I am not against emails or texts in any way, of course I use them, but when it comes to cars ive lost count of the number of times a texter never turns up, same as the private number caller.
    Imo and for my own peace of mind I prefer to speak to the buyer or seller.:):p

Advertisement