Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from PM co to landlord - any thing to watch for

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice about things to watch out for:

I've been renting a place, through a property management company for just over two years. I paid a deposit to them at the start, and I know that the tenancy is registered with PRTB under the building-owners name. And last year completed an update form for the PRTB too, showing that my partner is living here too.

I've had a little contact with the building-owner over the years, when he's done some bits around the building, and am happy that he's managing the property.

Before Christmas, we got in touch with the property manager, to get a surplus sofa removed, dodgy fridge replaced, some maintenance bits done. They wrote to the building owner, and he got the things done. I mentioned that we'd need to update the chattels list held by the property management company ... and I used the opportunity to say to the building owner "would you consider getting them out of the picture - I rent directly from you?". Turns out he had been considering this, and we're in the process of making it happen.

The building owner has been in touch with the property managers, and told them that he no longer needs their services. They've asked me to go and sign a release form, which will get my deposit back.

Rent: the landlord has said how much he wants (slight reduction on what it was), what bank account to put it into on the 1st of each month. I'll do that from the end of this month - there's a slight overlap in that I was paying the PM company on the 6th. I'll be asking them if they pay this back, but am happy to agree with the landlord that I pay on the 1st for the month starting the 6th.

Deposit: should the PM company give it to me immediately? Or will I have to wait? It doesn't sound like they're planning to do an inspection (they've never bothered hauling themselves up here to do one before either... and possibly they can't even find the chattels list). Once they give it to me, I'll be giving it to the building-owner, so there's still a deposit in place. Are deposits registered/lodged anywhere?

PRTB: since it's registered in the landlord's name already, we don't need to do anything?

Chattels: if the PM company can't find the list, I can construct one from the digital photos I took when I moved in.

Tax: I need to tell revenue that I'm now paying a lower amount.

Is there anything else I've missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

All sounds fairly above board and correct.
    unJustMary wrote: »
    Tax: I need to tell revenue that I'm now paying a lower amount.

Probably don't need to do anything here but always best to keep the records up to date. It depends how your rent relief is claimed though. Do you simply submit it at the end of the calender year or is it built into your credit directly onto your payslip.

Note though that I doubt the reduced rent rate will impact what credit you get as once you pay more than €2k (last year, I think its now 1650) per year there is no impact from it

Advertisement