Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I wish to scrap my car !

Options
  • 25-01-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

How do I go about doing this and will I receive any cash?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a list of official scrappers somewhere on line (it may be in the sticky at the top of the page)

http://www.toyota.ie/environment/end-of-life-vehicles/

Is this a trade in or just a scrapping OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The scheme will run from January 1st for one year. Cars eligible for scrappage must have been registered to the owner for at least 18 months prior to scrappage and must be scrapped 60 days before or after the new car is registered. The used car must have a valid NCT certificate or one that expired less than 90 days before being scrapped. It will however, apply to cars that failed the NCT test within the previous six months. Finally the cars must have been insured for at least 12 months in the 18 months prior to being scrapped.

While it only applies to the purchase of new cars with emissions of less than 140g/km, versions of many mainstream family cars and premium models still qualify. Of the 57,151 new cars sold so far this year, 66.5 per cent had emissions that would qualify under the scheme.

Above copied from Irish Times, may have changed somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks guys.

Well the car won't actually start at the moment - there is a problem with the ECU apparently which will cost 650Eur to fix - I'm not prepared to spend this money. 147000 miles on the clock, cracked windscreen, mirror missing from drivers side - apart from this she's fine - recently had a new clutch and altenator installed - I'm sure if somebody wanted to tow it away and pay the 650Eur to get it fixed it would run for many months. I just want rid of it now and preferably for some money. Where would be the best places to advertise? I heard somewhere that the manufacturer will scrap the car for me..

I'm not eligible for the govt scrappage scheme as car is not 10 years old and I'm not buying a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

EireEV wrote: »
    Where would be the best places to advertise? I heard somewhere that the manufacturer will scrap the car for me..

I'm not eligible for the govt scrappage scheme as car is not 10 years old and I'm not buying a new car.

What car is it?

Sell at: adverts.ie, donedeal.ie

Manufacturer's scrap their old cars for free, via a nominated scrapyard - but you wont get any money for it - just tax back if applicable...
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/how-to-dispose-of-an-end-of-life-vehicle

Thanks Cionad.

It's a 02 Seat Leon - do you think people will be interested given that they will have to tow it away - am sure it would be ok for parts - not sure what to do with it arghhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

My brother is having a similiar issue with his Seat cordoba 1.9 Diesel.
    Engine will not turn over at all, not seized as it does turn over with a spanner, mechanic calling over later to have a look.

Landy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

EireEV wrote: »
    Thanks Cionad.

It's a 02 Seat Leon - do you think people will be interested given that they will have to tow it away - am sure it would be ok for parts - not sure what to do with it arghhhh

Soemone could fix it up and get maybe 1k for it, the cheapest being advertised on carzone for a 2002 is 2,500 euro. The high milage is your only obstacle, I think you'll get a few quid for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I'll take it off your hands if you like?
    Looking for a fixer upper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

stick it on ebay with no reserve and a tiny starting price. Ebayers will buy any old crap! Will be cheaper than getting ti towed to a scrapper and you might get more than you expect for it! (Im always overbiding for rubbish so please dont post a link when you list it... :-)

ok possibly 650 for repairs if the problem is to do with the ECU - highy mileage and other small issues would probably mean that I'd get 1000-1500 for it - look for between 500-750 for somebody to take it off my hands??

• Advertisement
Advertisement