Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tax

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Having recently entered the big bad world after college, I am trying to get my head around tax and my entitlements.

At the moment I work 30 hours in a bar under PAYE. I recently was hired by Trinity temporarily (4 week) part time to complete a project on top of this. I was payed in a lump sum with a single cheque that was heavily taxed (as I hadn't given them a tax credit cert I presume?). I was taxed approx. 50% of the pay cheque so am I correct in saying I should be able to claim a good bit of this back? If so, how do I go about doing this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

TimAy wrote: »
    Having recently entered the big bad world after college, I am trying to get my head around tax and my entitlements.

At the moment I work 30 hours in a bar under PAYE. I recently was hired by Trinity temporarily (4 week) part time to complete a project on top of this. I was payed in a lump sum with a single cheque that was heavily taxed (as I hadn't given them a tax credit cert I presume?). I was taxed approx. 50% of the pay cheque so am I correct in saying I should be able to claim a good bit of this back? If so, how do I go about doing this?

You will only be due a refund if your other job does not use up all your tax credits and cut off. If you are not going to do further work for Trinity, you should contact your tax office but you may have to wait until the year is finished before you get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Thanks for that. I'm not sure that it does use up all my credits. In the meantime I have gotten on to revenue.ie and tried to sort out the online tax system they have so once I get my pin for that I'll see what the story is.

I've never gone to the trouble of sorting out my tax in previous years as I was always on PAYE, so is it possible to go back and check over to see if all your credits were used, and if not can you claim them back retrospectively?

Sorry if these are stupid quesitons, still trying to get my head around it all lol.

Advertisement