Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 on Acer laptop

Options
  • 25-01-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you had similar problems to me. Bought an Acer laptop before christmas, Acer Aspire 6930, default OS was Vista, but with free upgrade to Windows 7. So this arrived and I'm trying to do the upgrade. Have done nothing on the laptop, i.e. no downloads, files saved, except maybe 1 or 2 photo's to try out the webcam! But basically nothing on it.

While doing the upgrade, at the "Gathering files, settings, and programs" stage, this stalls at 19%. Left it for a few hours, and eventually restarted. Did it again, same thing. The first time it stalled at 13202 of 13209 gathered, the second time at 13312 of 13319 gathered, 7 short both times, not sure if this is significant..

Had done the upgrade advisor report previous, there were 3 things that it said may need attention; these were the acer bio protection, webcam, and cyberlink powerdirector. For all 3 it just said "We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program", which doesn't sound to me like a deal breaker.

As I've said, the upgrade is definately available to this laptop, and the fact that basically nothing has been done on the laptop or nothing downloaded, I'd have thought it should have breezed through the upgrade.

Any ideas?

Would really appreciate any help.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For a start, have you tried restoring Vista to it?

As the laptop (and pc's) boots up, for a second or two at the bottom left or right, there should be in white text, black screen, a message like "press F2/F10/12" (or some keyboard F number) "...To access the System Restore" or words to that effect.
    Press the appropriate button (NOT the one possibly mentioned also, to enter the BIOS) and follow the usually simple instructions to restore the laptop to standard factory set-up.
    (by the way, most laptops/pc's now come with a small hidden drive that contain a back-up of the original operating system, using the "Restore" function you will be transferring a copy of Vista back to your basic "C" drive from it)

As the Win 7 disc is an upgrade and not a full version, you will need to do this anyway before you even contemplate trying Win 7 install again.
    Have you tried this yet (or need to do it?) before we go further?

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

As the upgrade did not complete, none of the changes have taken place, so I'm effectively back where I started with Vista on the laptop, so I dont need to restore it.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have you check the obvious?
    Is the disc damaged in any way, scratched, etc?
    Have you disabled any anti-viruses apps and/firewalls on it?
    Turned off the hibernation power saver settings?

Tried copying the whole disc to a temp folder on the "C" drive and tried running it from there?
    (If your trying this, don't forget to include the hidden files on the disc also. Know how to do this? - under "Tools" -> "Folder options" -> "view" tab and then: "show Hidden files, folders and drives" in window box beneath)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mmm i changed from vista home premium to W7 ultimate and had no problems...it stops sometimes at the file transfer...and resumes or restars itself eventualy :) did it on 3 vista computers and no problems :)

Advertisement