Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kane

Options
  • 25-01-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Kane has been my favorite wrestler since his debut in 1997. To me it seems he almost always gets the short end of the stick and screwed over in some way for a title or some big match. I'm sure Kane N Nite will be interested in this discussion. I personally feel he has been one of the worse affected by the switch to PG in recent years. He's the same age as HHH and Batista so it is not too late for him to receive a major push. One night as champion in 13 years of service seems like a joke to me for a character like him.

I would love to hear people's opinions on whether or not they think it's too far gone at this stage. I know he was contemplating retirement at one stage and why wouldn't he, jobbing to Dolph Ziggler and the like. If it's not too late, how, do you think the writers could incorporate him into more favorable roles, be it as a heel or a face.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

I've said many times Kane is the one who got me into wrestling. But times have changed. He'll never be as good as he was. I don't think going PG has affected him too much as creative dropped the ball with him long before it. He's now someone just to look at in the background. If he gets others over in the process, all the better. Granted He got See No Evil, but even the whole May 19th thing surrounding it was a failure. As for him putting up with it, I've read he enjoys what he does. He's big into politics & I believe after wrestling he will have some future in politics. He's my favourite wrestler,& always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I wonder what Kane thinks first thing in the morning when he realises what he has to do for the day, I'd say it's tough going. Some legend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

here we go.

The haters will say he can't draw, or at least cant be trusted to draw.

Whereas people who enjoy his character will say he deserves more of the limelight.

I personally feel that it was the mask coming off that ruined him. They built up the mask, and then when it came off, it was an anticlimax. The best thing about him, the outfit/enigma gimmick was lost then as well.

I think he was a big guy who could move well enough, and combined with the character, he could have been huge. Unfortunately, his prime was also the prime of Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind and HHH to name a few.

I definitely think its too far gone now for him, unless he's given a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

here we go.

Whereas people who enjoy his character will say he deserves more of the limelight.

I personally feel that it was the mask coming off that ruined him. They built up the mask, and then when it came off, it was an anticlimax. The best thing about him, the outfit/enigma gimmick was lost then as well.

I think he was a big guy who could move well enough, and combined with the character, he could have been huge. Unfortunately, his prime was also the prime of Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind and HHH to name a few.

I definitely think its too far gone now for him, unless he's given a great story.
    Would agree with the bulk of what you've said there. Also think he deserves one last great story.

Also, if that's true that he enjoys letting people get big by beating him then I've more respect for the guy than I had before. Legend

here we go.

I think he's brilliant, dont get me wrong. Just imagine putting "1997-2010 - Kane" on your CV. I'd say his father is disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kane was my favourite superstar also, but totally agree that when the mask came off, his entire gimmick was shot to sh*t.

"his scars were emotional" i believe was the excuse used when the mask came off, and he didn't have a singed face. What a crock. They shoulda never took the mask off of him.

I thought there for a while he may go back to wearing the mask, after the whole May 19th thing as well, but unfortunately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I wonder what Kane thinks first thing in the morning when he realises what he has to do for the day, I'd say it's tough going. Some legend

something like this

i am 43 years of age, i earn $1m a year guaranteed from my employer, i have been employed by the biggest pro-wrestling company in the world for the last 15 years when many said i wouldn't last past 1995

i have got to hang and still do with the best big man performer in the history of the industry, appeared at numerous wrestlemanias more than guys like piper, dibiase, steamboat, hennig

whenever i walk down the street of any town somebody knows me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

The man is a consistently over monster after Katie Vick. I wouldn't say he's ruined. ;)

interesting viewpoint, for me the opposite is true, right place, right time

rossie1977 wrote: »
    something like this

i am 43 years of age, i earn $1m a year guaranteed from my employer, i have been employed by the biggest pro-wrestling company in the world for the last 15 years when many said i wouldn't last past 1995

i have got to hang and still do with the best big man performer in the history of the industry, appeared at numerous wrestlemanias more than guys like piper, dibiase, steamboat, hennig

whenever i walk down the street of any town somebody knows me

That doesnt make being Kane any easier though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

to be honest, i dont remember the last time he was even in a decent fued, probably with Shane McMahon in 2003, he wasted for sure, but when someone who is supposed to be a "monster" is no longer scary in the eyes of the fans its time for a change simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Wasn't it the case that Glenn Jacobs doesn't actually want another title reign? Aside from the fact that it'd be a whole load of work, I understood that he's getting more and more into the creative end of the business - which IMO is a good thing. Someone who's genuinely over and in a position to put over younger talent without being all-Tripsish about it is a major asset.

He has/had great talent and can definitely work a good match for a guy his size but, as other posters have said, his gimmick was killed when they took the mask off. Superficial, but I really think it demystified the character. People just don't have a 'holy sh1t!' moment when he comes to the ring anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is wasted on SD lately no feuds or matches he could be Punk's next feud if done right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

I think he's brilliant, dont get me wrong. Just imagine putting "1997-2010 - Kane" on your CV. I'd say his father is disgusted.

Thats an odd thing to say. Why, because hes a wrestler? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Probably better thoughts than me as i head to the building site in the frost.......

not exactly all about Kane, but the point is made. More of an impact(oh!:P) than the bald travesty on tv today.

also...

This ****ing rules.

Are you serious?

If ever there was a moment where Kanes character was killed off it was doing that out of character stupid Spin-a-Roonie.

well i meant the return part..didnt actually watch the end!! haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I absolutely loved Kane with the mask, he had a mystique around him, and he was one of the reasons I started watching wrestling in the first place. He was the big red machine. Ever since they took off the mask, its been downhill.

I mean, that night Kane lost to Triple H, if Kane can't win a match when the 2 things he should care most about are on the line (not losing his mask, and winning the WWE title), then when would he ever pull it out of the bag? It ruined his credibility. Completely ruined it.

I'd love him to go back to the mask, but the credibility of the gimmick has been tarnished, because we've all seen what he looks like, has already been ruined by years of misuse. The only thing that would resurrect it, would be to have some kind of fire/burning angle to bring back masked Kane. The angle has potential to be good, and the return of a masked Kane has the potential to be great IMO.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I absolutely loved Kane with the mask, he had a mystique around him, and he was one of the reasons I started watching wrestling in the first place. He was the big red machine. Ever since they took off the mask, its been downhill.

I mean, that night Kane lost to Triple H, if Kane can't win a match when the 2 things he should care most about are on the line (not losing his mask, and winning the WWE title), then when would he ever pull it out of the bag? It ruined his credibility. Completely ruined it.

I'd love him to go back to the mask, but the credibility of the gimmick has been tarnished, because we've all seen what he looks like, has already been ruined by years of misuse. The only thing that would resurrect it, would be to have some kind of fire/burning angle to bring back masked Kane. The angle has potential to be good, and the return of a masked Kane has the potential to be great IMO.
    He lost because of interference from Evolution. At one stage he'd kicked out of a pedigree and everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Memnoch99

That match should have main evented a PPV not a forgettable RAW (despite it being in MSG). I think wwe have destroyed Kanes monster aura over the years and it would need a big change to make him a credible challenger again. Have him disapeer for a few months then re-appear out of the blue and destroy the current champion (wwe or whc) and then win the belt. After hes won the belt book him like Big Show as ECW champion, a strong heel monster champion.

What I find strange about the whole thing is people continue to say that its all been downhill for Kane ever since he lost the mask. Thats not true. Kane had gone down hill about a year before he ever lost the mask, he was treated poorly well before he lost the mask. Also at the time when the mask was on the line there was tons of people that thought losing the mask would be the best thing for Kane because it could be used as a 'new beginning' for the character if they done it right, which they didn't. Losing the mask isn't the reason why the Kane character is no good. If he still had the mask he would still be jobbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Tribesmen7 wrote: »
    What I find strange about the whole thing is people continue to say that its all been downhill for Kane ever since he lost the mask. Thats not true. Kane had gone down hill about a year before he ever lost the mask, he was treated poorly well before he lost the mask. Also at the time when the mask was on the line there was tons of people that thought losing the mask would be the best thing for Kane because it could be used as a 'new beginning' for the character if they done it right, which they didn't. Losing the mask isn't the reason why the Kane character is no good. If he still had the mask he would still be jobbing.

In fairness, someone can effectively job for years and stay over if the character is good enough. I think what most people are saying (certainly it's what I'm thinking) is that his mystique and character were harmed a lot by taking the mask off him: he's just not half as scary with a garden-variety mug, yet creative don't allow him to show personality in the same way as other guys. It's a lose-lose situation.

I don't think his currency would be as devalued by his unselfishness over the last couple of years if they'd managed to keep him as this ferocious masked monster that only genuinely good guys overcame. He's been very good to other guys and the company in putting people over - the company just hasn't protected him as a talent quite as much as they could have.

he will always be this guy for me with a mask

he isn't even that big either, i remember first time i met him in new york, i was expecting a 7ft 350ft monster

geeky wrote: »
    In fairness, someone can effectively job for years and stay over if the character is good enough. I think what most people are saying (certainly it's what I'm thinking) is that his mystique and character were harmed a lot by taking the mask off him: he's just not half as scary with a garden-variety mug, yet creative don't allow him to show personality in the same way as other guys. It's a lose-lose situation.

I don't think his currency would be as devalued by his unselfishness over the last couple of years if they'd managed to keep him as this ferocious masked monster that only genuinely good guys overcame. He's been very good to other guys and the company in putting people over - the company just hasn't protected him as a talent quite as much as they could have.

Yeah I miss the mask too but my point was that losing the mask wasn't the start of his downfall. I do agree the mask added to his mystique. But WWE had dropped the ball with the Kane character long before that. The Kane-a-roonie being one example. Like what were they thinking. Kane should have been treated like the monster that only the very best could beat, that wasn't scared of anything and didn't mind suffering through pain to get what he wanted. A bit like he was when he debuted in 1997. Hes character was really one of the best around at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Glen Jacops dosen't want to win the World Championship. He prefers helping the younger talent. Kane is one of the most selfless guys in WWE, he could have been champion but instead he's doing something I doubt anybody in the Main Event would want to do.

Anyway Kane is one of my favourites. I loved him back in the day. But then he lost his mask, and everything started to go wrong for him there. He started out good after losing the mask because he was destroying everybody. He Tomestoned Linda McMahon, Chokeslammed Eric Biscoff off the stage, beat up Stone Cold Steve Austin and electrecuted Shane McMahon's testicles. It wasn't until after Wresltmania 20 that he went down hill and got caught in some stupid storylines, such as impregnating Lita and fueding with Snitsky. I still like him though.

My favourite moment of Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Voltwad wrote: »
    He lost because of interference from Evolution. At one stage he'd kicked out of a pedigree and everything

Really? Damn, my recollection of that match is terrible it seems. :o

At the same time, for all that was on the line, everything to him, its the kind of situations that Cena would "pull from the bag".

Cena would 'pull it out of the bag' because the writers love him in a nudey way.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

I think it says a lot that WWE made Kane the star of See No Evil. (One of the better WWE films efforts).

It annoys me in these Kane threads that there are many people who seem to think that Kane hasn't had a successful career, that because he didn't main event wrestlemania, he nearly belongs among the ranks of Max Moon and Bastion Booger. For a man that has been handicapped by a gimmick that is basically a rip off of the Undertaker he's had one hell of a career.

That's the type of gimmick that should have failed completely, Kane shouldv'e been on the garbage heap with Fake Undertaker and Papa Shango.

Instead he's a nine time tag champ, two time intercontinental champ, hardcore champ, ecw champ, and a former wwe champion. That's a hall of fame type record there.

I also don't buy into Kane losing his mystique when he lost the mask. He just hasn't been given any decent feuds or angles. At least not for long, anytime Kane seems to get some steam behind him creative thinks of some new crap to bring him down again.

KANE FOR THE HALL OF FAME!

• Advertisement

It annoys me in these Kane threads that there are many people who seem to think that Kane hasn't had a successful career, that because he didn't main event wrestlemania, he nearly belongs among the ranks of Max Moon and Bastion Booger.

No one is saying that
    Instead he's a nine time tag champ, two time intercontinental champ, hardcore champ, ecw champ, and a former wwe champion. That's a hall of fame type record there.

Yes its a great record and he will be inducted into the hall of fame sometime, but thats not really the point.
    I also don't buy into Kane losing his mystique when he lost the mask. He just hasn't been given any decent feuds or angles. At least not for long, anytime Kane seems to get some steam behind him creative thinks of some new crap to bring him down again.

This is what I have been saying. Yes the mask was great and and it added a bit to his mystique but its not the reason why hes character has been treated so bad. IMO the gimmick is a huge money maker but everytime it looks like they are going to give him the monster push they stop just when the fans are getting into it. I dont care if he never wins the WWE title its not the point, but they could have done so much more with the gimmick and didnt. The only time the writers seemed to know what to do with the Kane gimmick was from around 1997-01. After that it was all down hill with his Kane-a-nites and kane-a-roonies.

Advertisement