Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

TfD Transport for Dublin

  • 24-01-2010 9:24pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭ irishdub14


    Is it true that Dublin's transport systems (Bus, Dart, Luas) will all be rebranded to Transport for Dublin like TfL in London?

    Theres a site called www.transportfordublin.ie but the info is very vague....
    Does anyone have more information?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ marmurr1916


    I emailed them ages ago to see if they were going to put a journey planner (like the one on this site: http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm) on the site.

    They said they were working on it but I can't see anything there yet.

    In response to your question, the answer is that there's no integrated transport agency for the Greater Dublin area like TfL for London.


  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ Yixian


    Yeah it's apparently going to become a TfL for Dublin with a journey planner, but don't expect anything much until the integrated ticketing, Metro North and DARTu are all done.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭ irishdub14


    Interesting, thanks. I would love to see an oyster type card system for Dublin and not all these messy tickets...


  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ Yixian


    It's in the works, some kind of trial starts this year I believe. It's due to be finished in 2011.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭ nordydan


    irishdub14 wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks. I would love to see an oyster type card system for Dublin and not all these messy tickets...

    Would love to see an integrated card system for all public transport in (republic of) Ireland. If you're doing Dublin, you may as well go the whole hog


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk


    nordydan wrote: »
    Would love to see an integrated card system for all public transport in (republic of) Ireland. If you're doing Dublin, you may as well go the whole hog

    No, I disagree.

    We need a transport authority that is focused solely on the needs of the Dublin Metro region.

    We do this too often, diluting our focus so the authority has to listen to the whiners in some little one horse village in the west of Ireland, instead of focusing on the needs of a modern metropolitan area.

    There should be a separate transport authorities for Cork, Galway and Limerick, all under the control of elected Mayors and their respective City Councils.

    Perhaps you could then have a separate transport authority for everywhere else and the links between cities.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 KevR


    Dublin should by all means have it's own dedicated transport authority which focuses solely on Dublin's transport issues.

    I don't see why there couldn't be a card system to pay for public transport all over the country also.

    i.e - I could leave my house in Galway, use my smart card to pay for the bus (Bus Eireann) into town, use it to pay for the train to Dublin and the use it pay for the Luas/DB/DART.

    I believe the Oyster card could be extended beyond areas of Transport for London's control. The Oyster card will work the same in London (TfL controlled) but will also work in other areas where different transport authorities are in control.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 BluntGuy


    We do need a Transport for Dublin.

    This crowd simply distribute information with relation to Transport 21 projects, they have nothing to do with transport planning policy, and that's exactly what we need.

    I found their information to be incredibly vague and not very interesting. For all their bravado about the "exciting" "transformation" of Dublin's public transport, the fact they can only be bothered to write a mediocre paragraph for each project, and then don't even bother to update said paragraph when new info becomes available is very telling.

    It just makes this bunch seem rather pointless. Most of their information can be found on Transport21.ie.

    The site needs to be re-designed and made more informative. Proper transport schematics are needed. Where are the bus and train timetables? Why does it claim to have information on getting to the city centre then shove me off to other websites when I request it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭ nordydan


    bk wrote: »
    No, I disagree.

    We need a transport authority that is focused solely on the needs of the Dublin Metro region.

    We do this too often, diluting our focus so the authority has to listen to the whiners in some little one horse village in the west of Ireland, instead of focusing on the needs of a modern metropolitan area.

    There should be a separate transport authorities for Cork, Galway and Limerick, all under the control of elected Mayors and their respective City Councils.

    Perhaps you could then have a separate transport authority for everywhere else and the links between cities.

    I was talking purely about the method of paying (ie a national integrated smart card system like the Oyster), not seperate authorities per city (which I agree with).

    Why should we pay consultants to develop a system for Dublin, and another for Cork/Limerick? Its a nonsense to have a Dublin and Cork travel card for examplt...


  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ Yixian


    How's this?

    33vkv4m.png

    Your Saoirse card, giving you the freedom to travel ;)



    Oh and it is indeed the plan for the integrated ticketing card to eventually be expanded to the whole of Ireland at some point before/by 2016.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement