Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 Fiat Punto

Options
  • 24-01-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I've searched for the Punto here and everything I have read has said Puntos are crap... Is this all Puntos or Puntos of a certain vintage?

Was looking at an 04 Punto as it's in my price range and looks an alright size... I'm eager to buy something affordable that's cheap to run and maintain. I also don't want to buy a ford fiesta or a yaris... I may be limiting my options somewhat :P

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 04 is a Mark 2 or Mark 2B. These can have.... problems. The main one is that the 1.2 8v engine is known to suffer from head gasket failures.

If you're getting it cheap, though - go for it. You'll probably get an '04 Punto for the same price as a much older Japanese yoke, with a higher default spec level - even the base model should have dual airbags, PAS, CD player etc.

Just make sure its been maintained properly, the timing belt would be due/overdue on an '04 now for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Deadly, thanks. Gonna have a mechanic look at whatever car I end up buying... better safe than sorry.

What's the Punto 1.3 multijet diesel like? Would it have the same problems?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 1.3MJT is a fine engine, I wasn't aware of any Mk2B Punto's fitted with it being sold in Ireland though.

That engine has ended up in Ford, Suzuki and Opel cars also, its very well respected.

Advertisement