Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband problem. Tried different computers and different netopia modems.

Options
  • 24-01-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey all, im having a bit of a problem with our eircom broadband. We had to get a new modem because of the floods. We plugged in the netopia modem (Using ethernet cable) and all the green lights came on so we assummed it was working. But 'cannot find server' came up. I took the computer to a friend and the broadband was working ok there. I then tried my new laptop with it but 'cannot find server' came up again. I use the broadband in college with my laptop everyday. It came to a conclusion that it wasnt the computer that was the problem. I asked a friend if i could borrow his eircom modem and he gave it to me. All the green lights came on but 'cannot find server' was coming up again. so im 100% sure that the computers and netopia modem are all working perfectly. I rang eircom and they said 'it should be working, we can see a connection there'. It said 'connected to eircom broadband' at the bottom of the screen also so it should be working. Eircom customer service said they didnt know what the problem was. The said it was my computer was the problem but its not as i tried 2 different laptops on it aswell. Im thinking its a problem with the lines in the house but the telephone is working perfectly and all the green lights are on in the modem. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

run command prompt

type

ipconfig/all

press return

note the ip address and gateway address for all adaptors , eg 192.168.x.y, tell us what they are.

what is the dns address,

now type

ipconfig /flushdns

press return

any luck browsing now ??

what happens when you put " 192.168.1.254 " into the address box in firefox or internet explorer and press return

what happens when you put " 159.134.21.66 " into the address box in firefox or internet explorer and press return

• Registered Users Posts: 4 endakd

Hi All,

Reckon this could be an eircom issue.

Tried to connect to eircom broadband - couldn't.

Rebooted the router - and it did get an eircom IP (87.whatever)

I CAN ping 159.134.237.6 - no problems here...

I cannot browse at all.

Tried this from a number of PC's - with no joy.

E :mad:

where are you two?? what region ??

what do you see when you type this at a command prompt

telnet mail1.eircom.net 25

and press return

still no www ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mkingst

Thanks for the reply, i rang up eircom and they told me to do all that sponge bob but no luck. And i even brought the modem to a friends house and it worked. Its something in the house i think. But the phone is working perfectly!

did you use yours or his computer over there

• Advertisement

both!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is the netopia showing as being connected to Eircom on the opening page (http://192.168.1.254) and if so what speed is it syncing at?

west cork and we live half a mile apart. Im not home at the moment guys so i will update ye after i do all those! Thanks.

mkingst wrote: »
    both!

If you used your computer and your modem in his gaff and saw a webpage it is not a problem with either.

You should get 192.168.1.254 to work at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

endakd wrote: »
    Hi All,

Reckon this could be an eircom issue.

Tried to connect to eircom broadband - couldn't.

Rebooted the router - and it did get an eircom IP (87.whatever)

I CAN ping 159.134.237.6 - no problems here...

I cannot browse at all.

Tried this from a number of PC's - with no joy.

E :mad:

Maybe it's a dns issue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement