Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday in Dublin?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to go to some sort of comedy this Thursday in Dublin, and there seems to be plenty of choice. So I'm looking for feedback on where people have been on a Thursday and where's good.

Main options seem to be downstairs at Thomas Reed, The International, and the Ha'Penny. Of these I've been to an International comedy night but that was quite a few years ago. Des Bishop was running it (seems there's still Bishop involvement), and Karl Spain was in tow keeping the crowd warm. That was excellent - and I'd go back there again if I thought it could be still half as good? (Obviously there's luck involved, getting good comedians and a good room)

I've been keeping an eye on listings pages - International hasn't updated yet:
    http://www.theinternationalcomedyclub.com/gigsnews.htm
    Seems to be the same night ran Thurs - Sun? could be an advantage seeing it slightly more raw on a thurs, or equally to see it more polished as the weekend progresses...

Ha'Penny's night (battle of the Axe) will be MC's by Danny Keohe: http://www.battleoftheaxe.com/

And the Oak / Thomas Reed's night - I seem to remember a thread on here for that in previous digs, I'll re-search and add if I can find a link.

Suggestions / recomendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I've taken listings from independant.ie - I'm guessing the Cassidy's listing isn't actually Comedy (though it might get a laugh if I turned up expecting comedy):

Keith Anderson - Unbeaten Black and Blue
    Thomas Read's, Parliament Street, Dublin 2
    Starts: 8.45pm

Battle of the Axe Thursdays - Comedy Club
    Ha'penny Bridge Inn, 42 Wellington Quay, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    Starts: 9.30pm

Thursday Night Gaming
    Cassidy's, Westmoreland St, 27 Westmoreland Street, Dublin 2
    Starts: 6.00pm

Looks like International aren't doing a Thursday night? I was mistaking 2009 for 2010, thinking they'd update the page any day now :s
    Any recommendations of Read's or Ha'penny?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

both are high quality venues! thomas reads has keith anderson testing out his one man show, if you are a fan of edgy comedy he is your man, also all the proceeds of the gig is goin to help the people of haiti...so you will get a good nights comedy and do something good for a great cause (which is why its more expensive than the ha'penny at €10)

the hapenny has its improv on thursday, i normally dont like improv but these guys are very good, with the very funny danny keohe as mc (he's the fella off the "use contraception" ads)

you will have a greta ngiht either way, but if you are askin me to pick one for you, id say go for keith andersons show....just because you are helping a brilliant cause too! (and he has a stellar support cast too)

enjoy either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

P.Pete, where'd you wind up going?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 comedyfish

The Thursday comedy still runs in The International Bar p.pete - Just so you know in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

comedyfish wrote: »
    The Thursday comedy still runs in The International Bar p.pete - Just so you know in the future
    Ah crap, went to battle of the axe and it was muck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement