Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will NCT issue a Failure Cert if Car won't Start?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to avail of the govt. scrappage scheme. My car was working fine until last week. It now won't start and is not worth fixing. Radiator is leaking and some other problem.
    To qualify for the govt. scrappage it needs NCT in date or expired within 90 days.

My NCT is out of date (over 90 days) - so this disqualifies me from the scrappage scheme unless I can present the car for an NCT & have it fail.
    I can bring the car to the NCT centre, but if it won't start - will they still issue me with a Failure Cert? Or do they just refuse you the test?

Help as I need to get an NCT Failure or I lose out on scrappage deal.

Other scrappage requirements:
    Car is 10yrs +
    I'm owner 18mnths +
    Car always insured.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Will it not have to have a valid NCT?Meaning you will hve to pass the test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Will it not have to have a valid NCT?Meaning you will hve to pass the test?

Govt. scrappage states that you only have to present for a test. A failed NCT is accepted for the scrap scheme.

Govt. scrappage states that you only have to present for a test. A failed NCT is accepted for the scrap scheme.
    But if you fail you wont get a cert?

Ah yes,i just checked it out here http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/is-your-car-fit-for-scrap/
    Does the car being scrapped have to have a valid NCT?

Yes. The car must have a valid Irish NCT certificate of roadworthiness, or one that has expired no more than 90 days prior to issue of the Certificate of Destruction; or documentation to indicate that it has been presented for and failed an NCT roadworthiness test in the previous 6 months.

Ah yes,i just checked it out here http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/is-your-car-fit-for-scrap/
    Does the car being scrapped have to have a valid NCT?

Yes. The car must have a valid Irish NCT certificate of roadworthiness, or one that has expired no more than 90 days prior to issue of the Certificate of Destruction; or documentation to indicate that it has been presented for and failed an NCT roadworthiness test in the previous 6 months.

The answer to the question should be NO.

Anyone know how I can fail the test with the engine not starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

If you tow a non runner to the test centre and they refuse to test it and confirm that by letter,then maybe that would be enough evidence that the car was presented for an nct test.
    What you could do is talk to the salesman at the garage your buying the new car from and ask them for advice, im sure they will help you as its in their intrest sales wise.

But if you fail you wont get a cert?

You get a Cert of Failure when you don't pass - but if they refuse to test due to engine not starting - that's what I'm afraid of.

All I need is proof that I failed the NCT.

If you tow a non runner to the test centre and they refuse to test it and confirm that by letter,then maybe that would be enough evidence that the car was presented for an nct test.
    What you could do is talk to the salesman at the garage your buying the new car from and ask them for advice, im sure they will help you as its in their intrest sales wise.

That's sound advise!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Do you know why it won't start? Might it just need to be jump started or need a new battery?

If you tow a non runner to the test centre and they refuse to test it and confirm that by letter,then maybe that would be enough evidence that the car was presented for an nct test

I doubt it. The reason the government have for putting this condition on the scrappage scheme is that they want to replace currently still used cars with more modern cleaner ones. A non-running car is not producing any CO2, is it? ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Do you know why it won't start? Might it just need to be jump started or need a new battery?

There is a hole in the radiator, a leak under the engine and it won't jump start.
    The battery is charged, it turns the motor - just wont start.
    I'm not wasting any more time or money on it.

The cold weather killed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

There is a hole in the radiator.........

The cold weather killed it :(

If you only had water in the leaky radiator with no anti-freeze and with temps around -10C, your engine is more than likely well and truly buggered internally

I doubt it. The reason the government have for putting this condition on the scrappage scheme is that they want to replace currently still used cars with more modern cleaner ones. A non-running car is not producing any CO2, is it? ;)

I think your missing the point, all the op wants is a failure sheet to show that the car was presented for a test.;)
    It will be intresting to see how the op gets on with this.

Going to pop into the NCT centre tomorrow and find out what is possible. I'll let you what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

Tow it in? Are you mad, they'll just laugh at him, they're not gonna push it in for it's test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

A car must be capable of undergoing the test under its own steam, car doesn't have to drive to the centre though, can be towed or lifted. The guys wont test it or even start the test if the car wont run.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    A car must be capable of undergoing the test under its own steam, car doesn't have to drive to the centre though, can be towed or lifted. The guys wont test it or even start the test if the car wont run.

So do they issue a fail?
    Or do they just refuse the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Refuse, to the best of my knowledge, on the grounds that the car isn't fit to be tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No such thing as a failure cert, only a pass cert. There is the test report that says it failed.

Surely it starts even with the bust rad?

Get it to the test centre by any means, and just make sure it drives for the 10 seconds it'll take to get it from the waiting area into the centre itself.

EDIT: If they refuse to test it, they may automatically just fail it. Phone them and ask.

The scrappage scheme is not designed to catch people out who have a genuinely old car and could do with an upgrade. You sound like one of those, but just unlucky that the car has died (tho you were driving without an NCT for how long... we'll say no more on that one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bandiman

so you could trade in a perfectly good '90s Micra and put it towards a new Veyron?

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    No such thing as a failure cert, only a pass cert. There is the test report that says it failed.

Surely it starts even with the bust rad?

Get it to the test centre by any means, and just make sure it drives for the 10 seconds it'll take to get it from the waiting area into the centre itself.

EDIT: If they refuse to test it, they may automatically just fail it. Phone them and ask.

The scrappage scheme is not designed to catch people out who have a genuinely old car and could do with an upgrade. You sound like one of those, but just unlucky that the car has died (tho you were driving without an NCT for how long... we'll say no more on that one)

It won't even kick. Starter motor turns - but there is no live in the old girl. I don't think there is compression. Something serious wrong with it since the cold. Rad issue is only the start of the problems.

I'm going to call NCT or visit them later - try to get my hands on this failure report.

Bandiman wrote: »
    so you could trade in a perfectly good '90s Micra and put it towards a new Veyron?

Totally off the point - but scrappage is only valid against a new car in CO2 band A & B. The Bugatti doesn't qualify I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

You will not get a failure report. If the car isn't running, if you can't even start the engine, the car fails the so called "Pre Inspection check", they will not even bring it in. You will not get a report, they will simply refuse to test it.

Where are you based?

I think your missing the point, all the op wants is a failure sheet to show that the car was presented for a test.;)

I know why the OP wants the car tested. I think it is you who is missing the point in why dead cars can't be used in the scrappage scheme ;)

Anyway, we'll wait for an update from the OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Totally off the point - but scrappage is only valid against a new car in CO2 band A & B. The Bugatti doesn't qualify I'm afraid.

...ah balls, there goes that idea then..........:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ok folks - bad news (for me)

NCT won't give me any documentation if the engine doesn't start. :(

All is not lost though.....Renault are going to give me 8yr scrappage of 1,500 & trade-in allowance of 3,180 off the price of a 3DR Clio.

http://www.renault.ie/newsite/export/services/scrappage.html

I'm only losing out on €320 from the govt. scheme.

A nice offer - although it on the 3DR only. Allowance for the 5DR is only €3k.

Thanks for the posts!

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...ah balls, there goes that idea then..........:p

Another Galwegian who can't afford to drive a Veyron here :rolleyes: :p

Good result in the end then. Who knows you might even get something for the car, somebody might want parts off it.

Advertisement