Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car of the recession goes to...

Options
  • 24-01-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I will be changing my car within the next year (depending on job security!!) and have been thinking about changing for while now so I've pretty much decided on a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI. Hopefully get one about a year old for as close to €20k as I can, possibly import from uk. I have a '00 1.4 focus now so was looking to upgrade to something with a bit more power and since the new emission based tax system came in (and the price of petrol) the 170bhp vRS became very appealing :) . Also with a baba in the house, boot space became a high priority. So for many reasons the octavia fits the bill, I love my cars and even though the octavia is not going to turn many heads the I think the subtle styling of the vRS ain't too shabby! Anyway before I start to sound like a skoda advert one of other obvious reasons skodas have seem to become quite popular is the value for money and in the current recession value for money is the new spend spend spend of the celtic tiger.

So what do you guys think, if/when the recession ends and people start to revert back to their old spending ways the skoda may become a symbol of the recession and loose their appeal!! (Anyway won't put me of buying one still ticks most boxes for me!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

"out of the ressession".
    By that time, you won't give a sh1t what other people think of your car.

I'd get an old 1.8 petrol Octy VR whatever they were called, longterm you save loads in depreciation and roadtax on a 1.8 under the cc scheme isn't out of the way. Still ticks most of the boxes except it isn't new, nor is it the guts of €20K though. I'm of the view that we may well come out of the recession officially but we will never see a repeat of the Tiger situation. Back to the year old Octavia, a lad I work with has a 2007 one (not the VRS) and his heart is broken from turbo issues, no doubt you are aware of the DMF issue. A couple of years savings on fuel and road tax can be swallowed up quite quickly with a modern diesel should it have "a common fault".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So for many reasons the octavia fits the bill, I love my cars and even though the octavia is not going to turn many heads the I think the subtle styling of the vRS ain't too shabby!
    I'm not a petrol head, but he Octavia has always impressed me any time I've been in a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not a petrol head, but he Octavia has always impressed me any time I've been in a taxi.

In what way did the Octavia impress you, Victor? Did you have loads of suitcases with you that easily went into the cars huge boot? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Robust, quality interior, good suspension, nice sitting position (the rear seat seems to be higher than the front seats).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

if ur going buying a skoda at least ur gettin the octy vrs. friend of mine has a 1.4 octy and its a lovely car! Also the vrs looks great! Blue with the green brakes is nice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Seriously is Skoda paying everyone on this forum?? Everyone is mad for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I think RoverJames has the correct reply. They have issues that the OP was asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....... if/when the recession ends....

....by the time that happens, your 'baby' will be a teenager and will be looking at moving out.........

...your Skoda will be long gone by then.

...actually, or not, and will be running better than the 2020 reg Chinese car your neighbour bought and scrapped already....... :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....by the time that happens, your 'baby' will be a teenager and will be looking at moving out.........

At least he/she'll be able to pick up a house cheaper than a car :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Friend has the older 1.8 petrol VRS. If I had the money I would buy it off of him in a heartbeat. Its a great car. Very good on the ice as well oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

You'd wonder alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Yeah, thats what I noticed too and that was got me thinking it was because of the new bargin hungry mentality of the recession (I love the bargin alerts forum :D!). So they've got the current recession to thank for their popularity!
    During the boom people bought stuff they couldn't really afford to get one up on Mr X (in which case I'd be buying a 520 M-Sport or something) whereas now everyone are still trying get one up Mr X but getting the best value for money is the new game... hence the skoda!
    Q.E.D.

Advertisement