Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Whelans held me hostage and called the cops

  • 24-01-2010 1:00pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,209 cojomo2


    Been going there for about 10 years...I was there a couple of weeks ago, at the end of the night when I was leaving a bouncer blocked my exit, and claimed that I was caught on CCTV pressing on a fire extinguisher, and that I must pay up an €80 refill charge!

    Needless to say I was totally gobsmacked, I was drunk but not that drunk that I wouldn't remember what I was doing. I told him that hes got the wrong guy and that theres no way I did that,and that I wouldn't be paying anything. They then called the cops, who arrived in a few min (the bouncers wouldn't allow me leave in the meantime...I didn't try and leave with force though as I was innocent .

    Anyway, 2 cops arrive, nice guys..I explained that I didn't do anything..the cops said something like ''look mate, its freezin cold, we all want to go home, there's 2 witnesses that say you did it, just pay up and we can go home''

    At this stage, I was thinking, they have 2 witnesses and cctv, jaysus, maybe I feckin did do something so? The cops said if I don't pay, they have to take to to the station till I sober up, wheans press charges, I get a criminal record and wont be ever able to move abroad etc...

    My mate saw me with the cops and explained that he was with me the whole night and that I would never do something like that anyway...cops didn't want to hear it...in the end I paid up so I could go home.

    Next day I was well pissed off, I know I didn't do it, I don't know how this all happened, won't be returning to that place tho...

    Rant over.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif


«1

Comments



  • cojomo2 wrote: »
    Next day I was well pissed off, I know I didn't do it, I don't know how this all happened, won't be returning to that place tho...

    Rant over.


    If you are on CCTV, ask for a copy of it or to view it. Could easily be mistaken identity and you looked like someone else on it. As you were directly implicated, you could easily get this with a lawyer on it. If you genuinely didn't do it, it was holding someone against their will.




  • cojomo2 wrote: »
    Been going there for about 10 years...I was there a couple of weeks ago, at the end of the night when I was leaving a bouncer blocked my exit, and claimed that I was caught on CCTV pressing on a fire extinguisher, and that I must pay up an €80 refill charge!

    Needless to say I was totally gobsmacked, I was drunk but not that drunk that I wouldn't remember what I was doing. I told him that hes got the wrong guy and that theres no way I did that,and that I wouldn't be paying anything. They then called the cops, who arrived in a few min (the bouncers wouldn't allow me leave in the meantime...I didn't try and leave with force though as I was innocent .

    Anyway, 2 cops arrive, nice guys..I explained that I didn't do anything..the cops said something like ''look mate, its freezin cold, we all want to go home, there's 2 witnesses that say you did it, just pay up and we can go home''

    At this stage, I was thinking, they have 2 witnesses and cctv, jaysus, maybe I feckin did do something so? The cops said if I don't pay, they have to take to to the station till I sober up, wheans press charges, I get a criminal record and wont be ever able to move abroad etc...

    My mate saw me with the cops and explained that he was with me the whole night and that I would never do something like that anyway...cops didn't want to hear it...in the end I paid up so I could go home.

    Next day I was well pissed off, I know I didn't do it, I don't know how this all happened, won't be returning to that place tho...

    Rant over.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif


    You should sue them.




  • I was actually going to go back to them and ask to see the footage but I figured that there actually was no footage(that they just made that up) and would claim that its already been wiped.

    Also, the fact that the bouncer said they had me on cctv and the cops never mentioned cctv at all, but instead said there were 2 witnesses makes me think that the cctv part was bull...usually cctv is not monitored, but only checked back on if there was a major incident or something..so I think that there was no cctv footage, but that there were probably 2 witnesses that got it wrong...

    At the end of the night I was talking to a few different people that I didn't know, my mate said he remember me talking to a group that seemed really rowdy(said they were jumping around and 1 broke a glass)..he reckons one of them did it and then stung me for it ...I think he could be rite




  • Surprised the cops didn't want to see the CCTV footage tbh,whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?




  • You're an idiot for admitting to something you didn't do. What do you expect?


  • Advertisement


  • Id say the cops look at it as 1 drunk guys word vs. a couple a bouncers and nightclub manager...and just think , yep the drunk guy is guilty..I actually told they cops about 5 times to arrest me that I wasn't paying..they really didn't want to arrest me tho, they kept trying to convince me that the easiest thing to do for everyone was just to pay up and head home out of the cold...




  • craggles wrote: »
    You're an idiot for admitting to something you didn't do.

    In fairness a lot of people would do the same with the possibility of a charge hanging over them.




  • If you didnt do it you didnt do it.You should of asked to see the cctv.You were a bigger eejit to pay the money(if you didnt do it:D)




  • I would of insisted on seeing the footage...

    I also wouldn't have 80 euro on me at the end of a night...

    5/6 a side football

    National Sports Campus - Tuesdays - 9pm

    Coolmine Sports Centre - Thursdays - 9pm

    PM me for a game

    Thread





  • lord lucan wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of people would do the same with the possibility of a charge hanging over them.

    He paid 80 euro for something he didnt do.I would like to think the majority of people would have the balls to stand up for themselves and if it means telling a bouncer and 2 gardai to **** off and that you will see them in court so be it.


  • Advertisement


  • It doesn't matter, what kind of a bleedin eejit do you have to be to just give in? You should have taken it to the station if needs be but don't feckin pay up under pressure from a bunch of guards and bouncers




  • Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    He paid 80 euro for something he didnt do.I would like to think the majority of people would have the balls to stand up for themselves and if it means telling a bouncer and 2 gardai to **** off and that you will see them in court so be it.

    But when you have 2 cops standing in front of you and the threat of a trip to the cop shop a lot of people would think €80 is money well spent. Not everyone will stand up and defend their position,inebriated or not.




  • craggles wrote: »
    You're an idiot for admitting to something you didn't do. What do you expect?

    I never admitted to anything, but paid up after 30 mins of arguing in the freezing cold, after them trying to scare me with talk of a criminal record, no moving abroad etc etc...anyway, I was drunk, I couldn't think straight and they kept telling me they have witnesses and cctv to the point I where I even started to question if I had done it..but I know I didn't.

    Regarding the idiot remark, no need for personal abuse..




  • I agree with what people are saying , that I shouldn't have paid, and I regret paying now, but at the time, when I was drunk and tired, it didn't even dawn on me to ask to see the footage(was my 1st thought the next morning tho), and paying just seemed like a better idea than going back to spend the night in a cell..

    I didn't have the 80 on me, only a 10er, so cops brought me to ATM, I took out 60, and said that it was all I had, so 70 in total, and the nightclub manager guy just took it..




  • If he said he had you on Camera you should have mentioned this to the guards. If you make a complaint now you would be paranoid that the guards have it in for you in future. Also the guards seem to be vague when it come to the facts when dealing with someone who is drunk and passive. A friend of mine got done for taking a leak in an alley in temple bar. The Guards came along just as he was zipping up. Yet when he appeared in court the guard giving evidence was not present that night. Also she said he refused to stop urinating. And dont get me started on bouncers!




  • Wheel of morality turn turn turn.

    So moral of todays story: Drink at home and stop frequenting places that charge you an arm and a leg for the sauce, play sh*tty music and have ars€holes for bouncers (ok ok yeah 'where doesn't?' WHA WHA?).

    But I'll jump on that band wagon and take that "why didn't you ask for the cctv footage" route. Suppose it wouldn't cross your mind when you're being detained and trying to profess innocence to idiots with delusions of grandeur. And there's another argument. Just because you have a uniform does not give you the excuse to be a pr!ck.

    Phew! That is all.




  • cojomo2 wrote: »
    I agree with what people are saying , that I shouldn't have paid, and I regret paying now, but at the time, when I was drunk and tired, it didn't even dawn on me to ask to see the footage(was my 1st thought the next morning tho), and paying just seemed like a better idea than going back to spend the night in a cell..

    I didn't have the 80 on me, only a 10er, so cops brought me to ATM, I took out 60, and said that it was all I had, so 70 in total, and the nightclub manager guy just took it..
    Sounds like a terrible end to a night.

    Try to use this as a learning experience. Try not to get too drunk when you're in town so that you have your wits about you, you'd probably would have handled the situation differently if you were more sober. Town can be very "eventful" at night so you kind of need to be sharp.

    I know I wouldn't be going back to Whelans again after that as well. I'm not Whelans' biggest fan though...

    5/6 a side football

    National Sports Campus - Tuesdays - 9pm

    Coolmine Sports Centre - Thursdays - 9pm

    PM me for a game

    Thread





  • lol, can't believe you paid them.




  • lol, can't believe you paid them.

    I can't believe it either...:mad:




  • lord lucan wrote: »
    But when you have 2 cops standing in front of you and the threat of a trip to the cop shop a lot of people would think €80 is money well spent.

    thats bollox.I would think a small amount of eejits might pay even if they were 100% sure they didnt do it.


  • Advertisement


  • Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    thats bollox.I would think a small amount of eejits might pay even if they were 100% sure they didnt do it.


    As I said, after them telling me the had me on CCTV, and the cops saying there were 2 witnesses, in my drunkin state I remember thinking to myself ''holy crap, CCTV? 2 witnesses ? maybe I did do it so?'' But the next day I knew I didn't. . there no way I would spray a fire extinguisher and have 0% recollection of it..., that coupled with the fact that I'm not a clown!




  • Call them up today and ask to speak to the manager. When you speak to him, tell him what happened and that you want to see the CCTV footage. If they say that they haven't then tell them you are going back to the Guards about it as you were co-erced out of your cash while you were drunk. The bouncers lied and they have no evidence. If they were adamant about it they could have checked the extinguisher for your prints.




  • WindSock wrote: »
    Call them up today and ask to speak to the manager. When you speak to him, tell him what happened and that you want to see the CCTV footage. If they say that they haven't then tell them you are going back to the Guards about it as you were co-erced out of your cash while you were drunk. The bouncers lied and they have no evidence. If they were adamant about it they could have checked the extinguisher for your prints.

    it happened two weeks ago from last Thursday, do you think I've left it a bit too late for that?




  • Two weeks ago? Slow mover eh? ;)

    Worth a try, sure why not. It does give them a bit more time to come up with an excuse regarding footage, ie: it gets wiped every week or something.

    It's always best to nip these things in the bud as soon as you sober up.




  • WindSock wrote: »
    Two weeks ago? Slow mover eh? ;)

    Worth a try, sure why not. It does give them a bit more time to come up with an excuse regarding footage, ie: it gets wiped every week or something.

    It's always best to nip these things in the bud as soon as you sober up.

    Na, I just decided to forget about it, its only that I saw the thread here about pickpocketing in Whelans that it reminded me of it and decided to post it up here..




  • I'd say the window in which you could do anything is gone.

    Whelans most likely wouldn't let you see the CCTV footage anyway, they'd probably insist on the guards looking at it (if they still had the footage).

    5/6 a side football

    National Sports Campus - Tuesdays - 9pm

    Coolmine Sports Centre - Thursdays - 9pm

    PM me for a game

    Thread





  • Reading your OP made me sick to my stomach with the injustice....I am quite timid in nature...hate confrontation and all that...but if this happened to me I would have lost the plot. Why oh why did you pay? Why god damn it?? Even at my most drunk I would know if I did something ****ty like set off a fire extinguisher...

    What bugs me even more is your assurance that it wasnt you. Fair enough if you're they type of person who forgets stuff when drunk, and also the type off a-hole that would find it funny to mess with a fire ext, but youre not.

    For the love of god, do something about this. It's never to late for justice...It's not even the money thing that would annoy me....its the fact that you were bullied into saying you did something that you certainly didnt.




  • This post has been deleted.




  • Mr.S wrote: »
    CCTV, most of the time, is **** quality, black and white, limited view etc. You probally just looked like the person who did it, similar clothes etc.

    You would actually be surprised how clear CCTV cameras are and how inexpensive it is to get decent cameras.

    From my reading it seems that the bouncers couldn't find the group of rowdy lads who set off the fire extinguisher so picked you, OP, out as you had hobnobbed with them for a bit


  • Advertisement


  • From www.dataprotection.ie

    Storage and retention.

    Section 2(1)(c)(iv) of the Data Protection Acts states that data "shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for" the purposes for which they were obtained. A data controller needs to be able to justify this retention period. For a normal security system, it would be difficult to justify retention beyond a month, except where the images identify an issue – such as a break-in or theft - and is retained specifically in the context of an investigation of that issue.

    I would say that seeing as you were charged and that the guards were called then the tapes should be held. There will be an incident report by the gardai involved so you can work from there.

    Don't let it lie, it seems to be either a scam or mistaken identity. Either way you were innocent. A few phone calls etc and it could be sorted. Besides €70 is another night out! (ish)


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement