Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Mail downloads emails , but still appearing on old laptop OUTLOOK EXPRESS ??

Options
  • 24-01-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Just got a new laptop with windows 7 , had to download live mail ... fine so far ..

My old laptop has XP and outlook express ,,,

When I download emails on the new laptop and then check emails on the old laptop , they're still there on the old one to be downloaded ..

I'm sure I've made live mail the default program ,, but don't know what to do now ....

I just want to be able to download the emails on the new laptop and that's it .

Also , how do I move ALL the old emails across to the new laptop , AND the contacts name and addresses etc.??

many thanks , it's beginning to do my head in .

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It sounds like you've got two mail clients set up to collect your mail via POP3 (probably leaving messages on the server).

It would be worth considering changing both clients to use IMAP instead of POP3.

For getting your Outlook Express contacts into Windows Live Mail, you could try these instructions.

To get your old mails from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail, do a search on your old computer for "*.pst". There should be a PST file somewhere that you can copy to your new machine, and then import into Windows Live Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Once you sign into your hotmail account with Live mail, it will download all your mail automatically. It can take a while to download to your machine if you have a lot of mail.

To stop the XP machine downloading your mail, remove your account from Outlook express. The reason the old email appear on it, is that its cached on your old Pc.

As for contact's, I can't remember how it handles these. I think once you have a contact on Hotmail, LM sync's these too after the mail.

Right now I use Outlook 2010 and Hotmail connector. Its very cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

many thanks for that ,, I forgot to mention all 3 of my email accounts are eircom.net accounts ....

I can't change them at this stage to hotmail etc. as I've had them for years and all my contacts know them.

I'll try and see if I can get it working right..

Advertisement