Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 7 upgrade question:keeping old software

Options
  • 24-01-2010 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a laptop running vista business. I have run the upgrade advisor and it says I can upgrade to win 7 business.

I have a lot of software on my laptop, most of which were company installs ie I dont have the disks.

Can I upgrade my OS without losing the software that is installed.

Previously whenever I would have upgraded or reinstalled the OS on my previous laptops or PCs it would have involved a clean install with a disk format. Do I have to do this or can I just upgrade, similar to say upgrading itunes or firefox or something where the software updates without any other changes.

I cant afford to lose any of the programs I have already installed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Be aware though, Its highly recommended that you back up all your data before upgrading!!!!

Upgrading to windows 7 is simple and yes you can do it without losing your data.

Boot into Vista and log into your account. Put your Windows 7 disk or USB in. Double click Set up, click upgrade and follow the instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Its not the data I am worried about as that is easy to backup.

Its the software.

If I upgrade, will these remain on the laptop, as I dont have original disks for some programs that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

For software, when you put in the disk, theres an option to download a compatibility checker which will tell you which programs will continue to work in windows 7. I'd recommend following the links and running the program, then see if you can live with the results. A lot of programs will work, some won't.

As for backups, although the upgrade process allows you the option to create backups, it does create 1 backup file that contains everything.
    It might be easier, if you know what you're doing to go around copying directories to your backup media yourself.

tagoona wrote: »
    For software, when you put in the disk, theres an option to download a compatibility checker which will tell you which programs will continue to work in windows 7. I'd recommend following the links and running the program, then see if you can live with the results. A lot of programs will work, some won't.

Snap :P You got there first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for the help but my question still aint answered.

Basically in the normal reinstall or upgrade of an OS you would back up your data, install the new os and then reinstall all your software.

What I want to know is this, is the windows 7 "upgrade" a true upgrade, ie when I run the upgrade disc, at the end of the process, will my old software still be there or will I need to install them again. My problem here is that I dont have disks for many of my programs as they are group licences from my company.

• Advertisement

PoleStar wrote: »
    What I want to know is this, is the windows 7 "upgrade" a true upgrade, ie when I run the upgrade disc, at the end of the process, will my old software still be there or will I need to install them again. My problem here is that I dont have disks for many of my programs as they are group licences from my company.

Yes it will be there but a Tagoona said:
    tagoona wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

PoleStar wrote: »
    Thanks for the help but my question still aint answered.

Basically in the normal reinstall or upgrade of an OS you would back up your data, install the new os and then reinstall all your software.

I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to W7 Ultimate and this is exactly what I got - all software was retained. The only problem was my Outlook PST files which did not migrate - I recommend backing these up, but it depends where you store them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

If you don't have the disk you can also download the compatibility checker from the MS website, it will let you know what programs you will need to reinstall.
    If it does tell you that some of your programs won't upgrade, meaning you will need to reinstall them, you should uninstall them before upgrading.

Advertisement