Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone currently studying Social Studies or applying this year??need info please!!

Options
  • 24-01-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,:)

I am applying through CAO at the moment to 4 different colleges for Social Care/Social work. I want to put Blanchardstown IT as one of my choices for the BA in Applied Social Studies in Social care, which is a level 7 course.. I dont know much about the college-apart from what iv seen on the website, and i dont know anyone who has even done a course there-or the course im applying to! So i was basically wondering if anyone is currently doing the social studies course there in Blanch, and if so , what is it like? What is the college like? is it new/modern etc?
    Im living in Dublin, practically in the city centre, but im not driving at the moment so would be relying on public transport to get to Blanchardstown every day, so i wanted to know is the bus/train service good to the college? I dont know Blanchardstown very well-apart from the Shopping centre and the village, so is the college located far from either of them?

And any other information about the course, or the college in general would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Not a social studies student but I will try answer your non-social studies related questions! There are loads of social studies students in ITB but I dont think many or any are active on this forum.
    qwertytlk wrote: »
    What is the college like? is it new/modern etc?

It has a modern feel. When you first see it you will probably think its quite modern. Its only 10 years old which is quite young compared to most colleges. It has great computer facilities, computers available everywhere basically.

Nice bright canteen that do decent food and has a veggie menu.

Nice gym. Little on the small side but has everything you need and its basically free. By basically free, I think it is actually free.

There are quite a few active societies and there is normally something to tickle your fancy. There are a few societies that communicate through this forum as well.

There are a few social outings throughout the year that normally involve a local pub and then a club.

People who bad mouth ITB normally say that the college has no atmosphere or its sterile but these are normally people who don't attend regularly or don't get involved or people who don't make friends.
    qwertytlk wrote: »
    Im living in Dublin, practically in the city centre, but im not driving at the moment so would be relying on public transport to get to Blanchardstown every day, so i wanted to know is the bus/train service good to the college? I dont know Blanchardstown very well-apart from the Shopping centre and the village, so is the college located far from either of them?

Blanchardstown has three train stations, Castleknock, Coolmine and Clonsilla. All on the longford line and served very regularly. Castleknock is probably the closest to ITB but still leaves you about 2 miles away.

ITB is served by the 38 bus which leaves you 5 minutes away and then there is special, magical 38's that go into the college itself.

ITB is on Blanchardstown Road North which goes along the outside of the Blanchardstown Centre on the yellow entrance side. Its about a 20 minute walk from the Centre.

ITB is also on the other side of the National Aquatic Centre which the estate of Corduff in between the two. About a 10 minute walk away.

So, overall, great college. You'll need to find a social studies person to tell you about that end of things.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi Kenon,

Really appreciate that info!! Sounds good!! I did look on the net for info but thats just like reading about the college out of a book, so thats why I posted-I wanted the view-point of someone actually studying there!!
    The trasnport/directions you described would actually suit me perfectly as that no.38 goes up Dorset St/North Circular road, which means I would only have to walk out my front door and be at the bus stop (if im thinking of the correct bus-it does go up dorset st onto NCR and then through Cabra to Navan Rd then Castlenock and finally to Blanch doesnt it?)

Im delighted about that now, im gona stick it on as my 4th choice!!!:)

Advertisement