Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 meat lovers, 1 vegan cook (requesting permission to toot my own horn)

Options
  • 24-01-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I won over 3 devotedly meat eating guests with a 100% vegan meal.
    They couldn't get over how tasty, filling and delicious it was. One person in particular who I've never seen really eat before had seconds, thirds and didn't leave a morsel on her plate.

I made home made pesto, curried veg couscous, mint&lemon veg rice dish, vegan sausages, polenta, salad with delicious agave vinegarette dressing and some bread, finished with vegan Sweding glace.

They were shocked to say the least and I think will be back for more.

:D

Has anyone else had dinner guests who were surprised?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good work...only person i surprised was moonbaby when I cooked for her and she didn't die :P

Well done Aisling!

Most people I know are culchies, and therefore terrified of vegetables.
    The get upset when I make them sandwichs with brown bread.
    They are too cautious to let me surprise them. :(

The rest know I can cook.

Good work...only person i surprised was moonbaby when I cooked for her and she didn't die :P

I was shocked! and pleased! You were lucky you didnt die! :P
    I dont take it well when I dont like my dinner! :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Aisling&M wrote: »
    I won over 3 devotedly meat eating guests with a 100% vegan meal.
    They couldn't get over how tasty, filling and delicious it was. One person in particular who I've never seen really eat before had seconds, thirds and didn't leave a morsel on her plate.

I made home made pesto, curried veg couscous, mint&lemon veg rice dish, vegan sausages, polenta, salad with delicious agave vinegarette dressing and some bread, finished with vegan Sweding glace.

They were shocked to say the least and I think will be back for more.

:D

Has anyone else had dinner guests who were surprised?

Yes, had my mom and brother over to visit before my wedding last year, and they were actually quite surprised that a vegetarian meal could be filling. To them, vegetarian stuff is usually starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

this isn't my achievement but McDonald's used to do an absolutely amazing veggie burger. I had 3 of my omnivore mates always getting them when ever we went. We all agreed better then a Big Mac. sadly MacDonald's new idea of a veggie burger is a BigMac with the meat taken out. forshame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

smegmar wrote: »
    We all agreed better then a Big Mac.

Hardly something to be proud of though. Tis like saying we all agreed that this coffee is nicer than a runny dog poo...
    Made a veggie lasagne for my folks/bro/nephew over Christmas and my parents loved it, but the 9 year old nephew thought it would be nicer with meat in. Little fecker!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Any chance ya'd post the recipes!?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Vegan Pesto

I really just guessed this but oh my goodness, it is SO good. I was worried that without the usual parmesan it would be bland but I don't even notice the difference!

Here are appoximate measurements:

- 40g fresh basil
    - 250g pine nuts
    - 5 cloves garlic
    - 1 cup olive oil
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - 1/2 teaspoon pepper

• I don't have a food processor but just a hand wizard which worked wonderfully.
    • I gave the pine nuts a pulse or two and then the basil along with some of the olive oil to help the hand wizard not get clogged.
    • I cut the cloves of garlic in half and added them in with the salt and pepper and oil.
    • I adjusted with a little salt/pepper to my taste.
    • That's it, super easy
    !

Super Spicy Curried Couscous

Super nutritious, quick, tasty and satisfying.

This makes about 8-10 big portions.

- 500g couscous dried couscous
    - 500g tofu block
    - Olive oil for cooking
    - Agave syrup
    - 2 vegan sausages (I used Redwood lincolnshire style herb sausages)
    - 8 mushrooms
    - 2 carrots
    - 2 sticks of celery
    - 8 scallions
    - 1 red chilli pepper
    - 1 teaspoon curry powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon cumin
    - 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    - salt and pepper to taste

• Place 1 bag (500g) of couscous into a pan or any heatproof bowl with 650 ml boiling water with one dissolved organic vegan stock cube. Mix once and cover. After 5-10 minutes separate grains with fork.
    • In a frying pan saute tofu (cut into smal cubes) in a little oil and agave until golden.
    • Add chopped mushrooms, carrots, celery, chilli pepper, sausages and scallions and saute gently on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until carrots and celery are still crunchy but softer (or to your own taste).
    • Add a little oil if they start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
    • With a little oil and a teensy bit of agave to help the herbs spread, sprinkle over the herbs and spices and salt and pepper.
    • Leave on a low heat for about 4/5 minutes.
    • Mix
    the couscous and veg together and eat with a happy heart!

Lemony Minty Rice Dish

A really nice side dish or if you're like me one of many odd dishes people can pick and choose from.

Ingredients:

- 300g basmati rice (white is bes for this dish)

- 10 mushrooms

- 8 shallots

- 1 green pepper

- 2 lemons

- 10 mint leaves

- Olive oil

- 3 cloves garlic

- 4 table spoons soya milk

- 1/2 tube garlic paste

- Salt and peper to taste

• Cook rice first.
    • Saute chopped mushrooms, then onions and then garlic in some olive oil.
    • Add in chopped green pepper and cook all for about 5 minutes.
    • Add the juice of 2 lemons (if big one will be enough)
    • Chop and add the mint leaves and stir continuously for 3 minutes.
    • Add the soya milk and garlic paste and stir for 2 minutes.
    • Add
    rice to the vegetable mixture and it's done.

Groovy Black-Eyed Pea Salad

I got a basic greek salad recipe for black-eyed peas but changed it a bit.

- 1 bad dry black-eyed peas (soaked over night and then cooked for about an hour until soft but holding their shape.
    - 1 red pepper
    - 1 yellow pepper
    - 7 scallions
    - 1 red onion
    - 1 block tofu
    - 1 dessert spoon cumin
    - 1 dessert spoon dill
    - 2 bay leaves
    - 6 garlic cloves
    - 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
    - 1/2 cup olive oil & a bit for frying
    - Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
    - 3 dessert spoons agave syrup

• Cut the red onion in half and submerge in water.
    • While the peas are boiling, saute some tofu in a dash of olive oil and the agave syrup (gives a sweet crispy coating to the tofu). When golden add in the chopped red and yellow peppers.
    • Pop in the cumin and garlic (chopped finely)
    • Add the above to the drained peas along with the now chopped red onion and sliced scallions.
    • Add in the white wine vinegar, oil, lemon juice, crushed bay leaves, dill, salt and pepper.

That should be it, I think I've remembered everything.

Groovy Chickpea Stew

- 1 bag chickpeas (soaked overnight and boiled for about 3 hours) also any other beans you have left over will blend nicely in this
    - 3 cans of chopped tomatoes
    - 8 mushrooms
    - 6 cloves garlic
    - 6/7 tomatoes
    - 1 large onion
    - 8 shallots
    - 1 green pepper
    - 2 carrots
    - 3 celery stalks (large)
    - 1 red chilli
    - 1 green chilli
    - 1/2 tube garlic paste
    - 1/2 tube tomato paste - double concentrate
    - 1/4 cup olive oil
    - a couple of dashes of white wine vinegar
    - 3 dessert spoons corriander

• While the chickpeas are boiling chop the onion, shallots, mushrooms and garlic and saute in a little oil.
    • Let them cook gently until the soften and the juices start to flow out.
    • Add the green pepper, chilli, then celery carrots and saute until they start to soften, they'll properly in the sauce later.
    • Add a few splashes of vinegar.
    • Chop and add the tomatoes, then the garlic and tomato paste, stirring for about 5 minutes.
    • When all the veg look ready add in the three cans of chopped tomatoes and then the corriander, salt and pepper.
    • Let this simmer for about 2-3 hours.
    • When ready (judge by taste and appearance) add in the drained chickpeas and
    cook for a further 30 minutes.

And ta-da!
    I put two chillis in and my hands stung after de-seeding them but really I could have put another one in as there wasn't a huge kick to it. It can be eaten hot or cold.

Groovy Cucumber Relish

My Aunt made this last summer and I decided to try my own version. It is super easy and tasty.

- 2 cucumbers peeled and then sliced super finely (I use the peeler)
    - 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    - 4 dessert spoons Agave syrup
    - Juice of half a lemon

• Slice up the cucumbers (they should look slushy).
    • Add the rest of the ingredients and leave in a sealed jar after a good shake in the fridge overnight. The sharpness softens overnight as the sweetness of the Agave works it's magic.

It goes with everything but I'm a sucker for anything sharp and vinegary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I've made things before that people have found delicious and have found it hard to believe are vegan, but have never converted anyone to veganism!

What really annoys me as a vegan, is when others admit that there's not really that much difference between dairy-free ice-cream / custard / margarine / cream cheese and their dairy counterparts (and are often shocked by this and sometimes even prefer it)... Yet they still continue to buy the dairy.

Advertisement