Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scéim Chónaithe Dhartraí 2010-11

Options
  • 23-01-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I want to apply for the Scéim for this September, but the information on the TCD site hasn't been updated since last year. I tried e-mailing the gaeloifig but I didn't get a reply. Does anyone know how I go about applying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

Hi. Its odd that Aonghus hasnt yet replied to you though his office is currently snowed under with translation work at the moment.

If you are applying for the Sceim in Dartraí then you will not be able to apply untill Summer.Also the Sceim in Dartraí is for incoming 1st year students only (someone can correct me on this but from what I recall its specifically 1st years) As far as I remember it was around June/July last year though now that we have a new academic calendar interviews may be earlier. Basically just keep an eye on the gael oifig site , you can also check out the facebook page that Aonghus has just set up.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000669367968&ref=ts

If you are a continuing student you may apply for the Scéim Campais. Information will be published soon on this as interviews usually co-incide with Eigse (seachtain na gaeilge).

Competition over the past few years has hugely increased so líofacht sa ghaeilge is pretty much expected.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

Hey, thanks for the info. I am a prospective 1st year student so I am eligible for the Scéim in Dartraí. I didn't realise it was that late that the applications were done. It might be a problem for me because I have the Leaving Cert in June and pretty much as soon as that's over I'm heading away for the whole summer. Ah well, I'll just have to see when more info becomes available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Alex_Jones

Rooms should be allocated on academic merit (and on the basis of disability), not on the basis that you're a Gaelgoiri. There's no benefit whatsoever to the college.

Brendan Tangney, when he was Registrar of Chambers, brought in rooms for Gaelgoiris if I'm not mistaken. I can just imagine the uproar if the College decided to take the rooms off them again. There'd be cries of "West Brit" and "discrimation" left right and centre.

There's nobody stopping anyone from speaking Irish. If you want to hang around with a bunch of Irish speakers, go right ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Alex_Jones wrote:
    Rooms should be allocated on academic merit (and on the basis of disability), not on the basis that you're a Gaelgoiri. There's no benefit whatsoever to the college.
    In my opinion, it's of benefit to gaeloifig na coláiste to have 12 representatives in Trinity Hall, which houses about 1,200 students if I'm not mistaken. What would be the benefit to the college of putting an end to the Scéim?
    Alex_Jones wrote:
    Brendan Tangney, when he was Registrar of Chambers, brought in rooms for Gaelgoiris if I'm not mistaken. I can just imagine the uproar if the College decided to take the rooms off them again. There'd be cries of "West Brit" and "discrimation" left right and centre.

There's nobody stopping anyone from speaking Irish. If you want to hang around with a bunch of Irish speakers, go right ahead.

The Scéim Dhartraí does more than "hang around" speaking Irish. We organise events to promote Irish language and culture in Halls, as well as helping out the Cumann Gaelach sometimes. We were admittedly slow getting going last term, but this semester we're hoping to organise a trip to a mystery gaeltacht, a céilí, an Irish talent show/open mic night, etc...

A Neurotic wrote: »
    In my opinion, it's of benefit to gaeloifig na coláiste to have 12 representatives in Trinity Hall, which houses about 1,200 students if I'm not mistaken. What would be the benefit to the college of putting an end to the Scéim?
    To make room for students who publish their work at conferences and in journals.
    The Scéim Dhartraí does more than "hang around" speaking Irish. We organise events to promote Irish language and culture in Halls, as well as helping out the Cumann Gaelach sometimes. We were admittedly slow getting going last term, but this semester we're hoping to organise a trip to a mystery gaeltacht, a céilí, an Irish talent show/open mic night, etc...

In other words, a society with 12 rooms. Most societies have no rooms.

Only the successful clubs/societies get a room. Not 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Alex_Jones wrote: »
    To make room for students who publish their work at conferences and in journals.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're getting at here. Would you care to elaborate?
    Alex_Jones wrote:
    In other words, a society with 12 rooms. Most societies have no rooms.

Only the successful clubs/societies get a room. Not 12.

Um, we're paying for our accommodation in Halls, just like everyone else.

We do get a grant of €1,000 for taking part in the Scéim.

Ní thuigim.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Only in this country would a program by the nation's premier educational institution intended to promote the speaking and preservation of its indigenous language be considered wasteful or contrary to the scholarly remit of the college. I'm sorry leaving cert Irish is hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

WHirl7 wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the info. I am a prospective 1st year student so I am eligible for the Scéim in Dartraí. I didn't realise it was that late that the applications were done. It might be a problem for me because I have the Leaving Cert in June and pretty much as soon as that's over I'm heading away for the whole summer. Ah well, I'll just have to see when more info becomes available!

Dont worry about being away for the summer. I know that last year there was someone who was away on erasmus and Aonghus conducted over the phone.

My best advice is to keep an eye on the website for an update! Go n-eirí leat! The Scéim really is a great experience. The bunch out there this year are great.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're getting at here. Would you care to elaborate?

Students with publications trump Gaelgoiris AFAIC.

Advertisement