Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a shot at funding for my MSc.?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

My current circumstances are as follows.

I'm a mature student, living at home. Up until 3th year, I got a small grant - but it was cut last year for 4th year. So as it currently stands, I don't receive a grant.

I plan on moving to Dublin this September to do a Masters in DCU - but I'm really concerned about how I'm going to fund it. I personally work only 16 hours a week at the moment in college, but the grant is means tested on the total household income, despite me being a mature student and totally independant of my parent's income. (Such is life).

What options do I have to try and make this endeavour possible? Is there a possibility of a grant, or funding that would help me? The MSc. is a taught MSc, so I don't think there is an option for funding as there is no research aspect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

Essentially if you go straight from a bachelors to a masters from one year to the next you go on the same circumstances of you getting the grant of your masters. If take a year between the bachelors and masters you can be reassessed as to your circumstances.

The only thing I'd suggest is if you can't get a grant and you spend money on a course is that you could apply for tax relief on the fees which is 20% of the fees. Not fantastic but something all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm worried more about living costs - I'm going to try save up as much as I can during summer and try ration out the year. It appears DCU offer financial assistance, so I'll look into that.

Yup, there's a Student Assistance Fund too (or that may be what DCU were talking about) in every college which people can apply to if experiencing hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Dónal wrote: »
    Yup, there's a Student Assistance Fund too (or that may be what DCU were talking about) in every college which people can apply to if experiencing hardship.

That'd be me :) I'll get in touch with them.

Advertisement