Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.E.M. - Saturn Return, "Reveals hidden gem"

Options
  • 23-01-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Never heard the entire album before, expect for the radio songs. But the song "Saturn Return" is really good dreamy song to listen to. Stipes vocals are tantalizing in it, and perfect song to listen to if your are walking on a clear night looking up at the stars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Never heard the entire album before, expect for the radio songs. But the song "Saturn Return" is really good dreamy song to listen to. Stipes vocals are tantalizing in it, and perfect song to listen to if your are walking on a clear night looking up at the stars.
    sorry which album you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can't remember much about this particular song, but I do know I really don't like Reveal - only Around the Sun is a worse REM album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

sorry which album you talking about?

Reveal. I admit its not a great album, but this one song stands out from the rest, its beautiful.

Reveal. I admit its not a great album, but this one song stands out from the rest, its beautiful.
    yes had that album but dont remember much of it apart from All the way to reno and imitation of life. They started to go a bit downhill i felt after New adventures in hi fi.

yes had that album but dont remember much of it apart from All the way to reno and imitation of life. They started to go a bit downhill i felt after New adventures in hi fi.

Your right yano. Had a few old albums but decided to download the disco-orography to have the full picture, and yes, since 2000 they have tried harder and their sound have wavered. Thinks its more down to advances is sound engineering and technology tough, sure look at U2, their sound is just sound squeaky clean these days I feel like they sold themselves out. Same for REM.

• Advertisement

Your right yano. Had a few old albums but decided to download the disco-orography to have the full picture, and yes, since 2000 they have tried harder and their sound have wavered. Thinks its more down to advances is sound engineering and technology tough, sure look at U2, their sound is just sound squeaky clean these days I feel like they sold themselves out. Same for REM.
    that said they put in the spade work early on. Discovered them around the time of Lifes rich pageant.

that said they put in the spade work early on. Discovered them around the time of Lifes rich pageant.

1986 right. Its funny reading about how they all got together, just two lads from different parts of the country working in a record shop, discovered their common interests. Not many bands start like that.

1986 right. Its funny reading about how they all got together, just two lads from different parts of the country working in a record shop, discovered their common interests. Not many bands start like that.
    yer man Peter buck really likes his music. big into album sleeves and everything. Great band for interviews. They were great in Slane. Played Oasis off the stage that day.

yer man Peter buck really likes his music. big into album sleeves and everything. Great band for interviews. They were great in Slane. Played Oasis off the stage that day.

Yeah, big into their activism too - btw "Saturn return" is laced with it. You should listen to it now just to see what you think.

Yeah, big into their activism too - btw "Saturn return" is laced with it. You should listen to it now just to see what you think.
    will have to download song again on Itunes. heard the opening few bars there. Sounds good alright. If i had to pick a top song think it would be e bow the letter. amazing sound off it.

• Advertisement

will have to download song again on Itunes. heard the opening few bars there. Sounds good alright. If i had to pick a top song think it would be e bow the letter. amazing sound off it.

"If you ever live till 83, will you ever remember me?" Riveting lyrics alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My sarcasm detector just exploded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Reveal was their last good album. Went all pear shaped after that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My sarcasm detector just exploded.

Whys that? No sarcasm intended here.

Do you think their tours have go the same shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Brilliant song alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

They haven't had a decent album since Bill Berry left and i wouldn't hold out on hearing one in the future either.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

I realise i'm probably in the minority here but I think Reveal is a vastly underrated album. It'd probably be one of my 5 favourite REM albums. The Lifting, All The Way To Reno, Disappear, Beat A Drum, Summer Turns To High, Beachball are all songs that I adore. Wonderful, woozily atmospheric, melodic songs all.
    Funnily enough, Saturn Returns wouldn't be one of the standouts on the album for me. Still a good song though.

Do you think their tours have go the same shape?

Havent seem them live, although my brother tells me they were amazing at Slane (many moons ago)
    They haven't had a decent album since Bill Berry left and i wouldn't hold out on hearing one in the future either.

They're a bit like U2 in that regard, I dont really care if they never brought out another album, their best albums are behind them.
    I realise i'm probably in the minority here but I think Reveal is a vastly underrated album. It'd probably be one of my 5 favourite REM albums. The Lifting, All The Way To Reno, Disappear, Beat A Drum, Summer Turns To High, Beachball are all songs that I adore. Wonderful, woozily atmospheric, melodic songs all.
    Funnily enough, Saturn Returns wouldn't be one of the standouts on the album for me. Still a good song though.

I agree, totally underrated. That album brings back great memories of summer 2001....The Lifting, Beat A Drum, She Just Wants to Be being my own personal faves. And that video for Imitation of Life was very clever :)

Havent seem them live, although my brother tells me they were amazing at Slane (many moons ago)

They're a bit like U2 in that regard, I dont really care if they never brought out another album, their best albums are behind them.

I agree, totally underrated. That album brings back great memories of summer 2001....The Lifting, Beat A Drum, She Just Wants to Be being my own personal faves. And that video for Imitation of Life was very clever :)
    Reveal had its moments but IMO not even remotely near anything they did in IRS career or early part of Warner Brothers career. But again they have released more good albums then most bands would dream of.

Reveal had its moments but IMO not even remotely near anything they did in IRS career or early part of Warner Brothers career. But again they have released more good albums then most bands would dream of.

Reveal was thier last hurrah IMO creatively, but yeah there are some hidden gems on their 80s albums, Dont Go Back To Rockville, Fall On Me, Cuyahoga. And Murmur was as good a debut album as any.

• Advertisement
Advertisement