Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours

Options
  • 23-01-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

Every Saturday, we have a problem with the apartment below us, they play music mostly till after 12.30am.. I have tried to involve the management company, they were supposed to have had a word with them but yet it is Saturday...:rolleyes: and the music is still on..

What can I do to stop this (bar moving out..)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

This used to happen me every Saturday Night so i used to get up early on sunday morning and play my music even louder (and as it was during the day they couldnt do anything!!!) Management companies do not resolve anything!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Its dreadful isn't it, I am living on the edge of my bloody nerves due to it all. The police won't do anything. It is driving me insane. :mad::(

It is the worst thing because u cant blank it out ! My new apartment block is fairly ok except for the child upstairs running across the floor in what sounds like Hammers on his feet and screaming at 7am outside my window cause he doesnt like the childminder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ear plugs for €1 from local pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Victor wrote: »
    Ear plugs for €1 from local pharmacy?

Only danger there is would you still hear the fire alarm if it went off?

• Advertisement

LOL they dont work ( Good idea though ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm gonna suggest speakers to the floor and loud music early Sunday morning, say 5-ish, from you to them. Should open a dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'm gonna suggest speakers to the floor and loud music early Sunday morning, say 5-ish, from you to them. Should open a dialogue.
    Something with a nice beefy base line. :pac:

It used to make me feel SO much better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dublinbynight

angel01 wrote: »
    Every Saturday, we have a problem with the apartment below us, they play music mostly till after 12.30am.. I have tried to involve the management company, they were supposed to have had a word with them but yet it is Saturday...:rolleyes: and the music is still on..

What can I do to stop this (bar moving out..)

Your only option is a formal complaint under the Environmental Protection Act - should be available on you Council website. If it happens all the time you might actually stand a chance. If the management company doesn't do anything then you have the perfect pretext to involve of the local rags, Gazette for example - they love that kinda news, just embellish where necessary. Good luck - we moved out because of a similar issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Only danger there is would you still hear the fire alarm if it went off?
    Yes you would. Ear plugs tend to drown out background noise, not sudden noise.

This time it went on till 5am :rolleyes: looks like I will be calling the county council and lodging a complaint on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

This time it went on till 5am :rolleyes: looks like I will be calling the county council and lodging a complaint on Monday.

Best thing to keep an actual diary or written record of times and dates. Should be pretty easy to write the dates as it's every Saturday but have times of it finishing...if you are still awake when it does. If you could get a sound recording from your apartment also as evidence of the noise you have to endure etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

red dave wrote: »
    Best thing to keep an actual diary or written record of times and dates. Should be pretty easy to write the dates as it's every Saturday but have times of it finishing...if you are still awake when it does. If you could get a sound recording from your apartment also as evidence of the noise you have to endure etc.

I'd agree with red dave on this one. Keeping records of all incidents is vital and can prove very useful if you are asked for evidence. Same goes for sound recordings.

I have contacted the PRTB, the property is registered on there but I have to write a letter to them before they will release the landlords information, sent the letter just now and it is gone in the post.

Waiting for the county council to get back to me. Not sure what else I can do for now.

Just an update, they are being evicted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Just an update, they are being evicted :D

Wow! That's a great result. Is it their landlord that's evicting them or did the PRTB request them to be evicted?

How long did the whole process take? If you don't mind me asking.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Wow! That's a great result. Is it their landlord that's evicting them or did the PRTB request them to be evicted?

How long did the whole process take? If you don't mind me asking.

Their landlord is evicting them. The process took a bit longer than I wanted because their landlord was away a lot but I suppose around 3 weeks, I got my landlord involved which really helped a lot.

I had been having problems for about 3/4 months before that, I am so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

angel01, just to clarify, did you send the letter through the PRTB or did you get the owners address off the PRTB?

btw...congrats!

madrabui wrote: »
    angel01, just to clarify, did you send the letter through the PRTB or did you get the owners address off the PRTB?

btw...congrats!

I sent a letter to the PRTB, they gave me the landlords details by post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I sent a letter to the PRTB, they gave me the landlords details by post.

Well done. Delighted for you. Common sense prevails.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Congrats OP, noisey neighbours are a terrible thing. My other half and I eventually moved from an apartment complext after 18 months as the neighbours upstraits just got more and more unreasonable at the weekends with parties and music reguarly going on 'til 5am.

At the moment we're gonna move from our current place as our next door neighbours reguarly do their washing in the middle of the night. So at 2-3am in the morning you can be lying in bed and all you can hear is the pounding of their washing machine in the next apartment. It sounds like a trivial thing but the walls are paper thin.

I had mentioned to them that it's keeping us awake at night but they denied they were doing it...... feckers! :mad:

Congrats OP, noisey neighbours are a terrible thing. My other half and I eventually moved from an apartment complext after 18 months as the neighbours upstraits just got more and more unreasonable at the weekends with parties and music reguarly going on 'til 5am.

At the moment we're gonna move from our current place as our next door neighbours reguarly do their washing in the middle of the night. So at 2-3am in the morning you can be lying in bed and all you can hear is the pounding of their washing machine in the next apartment. It sounds like a trivial thing but the walls are paper thin.

I had mentioned to them that it's keeping us awake at night but they denied they were doing it...... feckers! :mad:

I can sympathise :(

Unfortunately it will take a few weeks for them to go but they have been served notice so at least that is something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

They must be using night saver electricity.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    They must be using night saver electricity.

Though saying that, we tend to use our washing machine at night too (purely only because we are out during the day and I am not comfortable leaving the washing machine on when I am out at work and noone to keep an eye on it)

and they have finally left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Thanks for sharing your experience, Angel, and congratulations.

I'm in a similar situation; I've written to the PRTB looking for their landlord's information.

My management company advised me to "take an action against these residents under Section 108 (3) of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992, to appear in the District Court."

I don't really know how do to this... I'm guessing I print out this form and deliver it to these guys? How do I do this if I don't know the names of the people in the apartment?

Advertisement