Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question regarding illegal parking

Options
  • 23-01-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just received a parking offense fine of just 40 euro. Fair enough, I'll prob pay it but I've a question.

I remember the time it happened. My friend and I got out of my car and I locked it. Just as doing so a paddy wagon passes by and I see the passenger in it look back. Obviously he took my license number then.

The area I parked in doesn't have any double yellow lines, it has no line actually. A lot of people park there after hours at night. Anyways there must have been a no parking sign somewhere as they gave the ID of it in the letter.

Anyways, I got back into car again and drove it away. I thought there was a minimum time frame or something. I didn't even know a passer by in a paddy wagon could do it without actually getting out and inspecting.

I find it a small bit odd. I just asking a question really, does anyone know exact law regarding illegal parking.

Before high horses begin, I'm only asking a question. I've no problem paying the fine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's no acceptable period for illegal parking - that said, if you had still been in the drivers seat then it might have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Anan1 wrote: »
    There's no acceptable period for illegal parking - that said, if you had still been in the drivers seat then it might have been different.
    Thanks. Yeah true, might be different alright if I was in the driving seat. I'll be more careful in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it's any comfort, I saw exactly the same thing happen to a friend's car in Kilmacanogue a few months ago. They basically slow down, have a good look, drive off, and a week or two later the ticket arrives in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Not a very nice way to enforce parking regulations. A passing traffic warden would of told you to move the car, The paddy wagons passenger could easily of done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Assuming they saw you, they prob should have told you to move it, I would anyway. There's no minimum time and the guard doesn't have to get out of the car or anything. I could give a ticket to a car i'm looking at on a security camera if I was that way inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Assuming they saw you, they prob should have told you to move it, I would anyway. There's no minimum time and the guard doesn't have to get out of the car or anything. I could give a ticket to a car i'm looking at on a security camera if I was that way inclined.
    Thank you, that clears few things up. I wont be parking there again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

What if someone was stopping to pickup/drop-off with the driver out of the car removing a bag, for example, from the boot ? That might contravene a clearway area but not a no-parking area.

Clearway:
    clearway.gif

If there's no clearway restriction in force in that area, then it's very unfair for the Gardai not to have at least stopped and issued a warning or else try to suss out what the driver was doing.

Advertisement