Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuttering when connecting to network

Options
  • 23-01-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on a wireless network using windows 7 and since moving to windows 7 I've experienced stuttering and slowdown whenever the computer tries to connect to the wireless network.

In the beginning it was very severe with the wireless not working at all when WMP was running so I switched to VLC player and and bought a new PCI wireless card and the problem seemed to go away.

Now I'm noticing it again. Whenever the computer is trying to connect to the network whatever's playing be it MP3s, divx or flash player on a website the video and sound stutter and even the mouse pointer on screen jumps around due to slowdown. It's not that the CPU usage jumps either.

I haven't experienced anything like it anywhere else and I'm just wondering would it be down to the distance from the wireless point? I'll be moving soon and should be able to connect directly to the modem which should hopefully fix the problem but it's odd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Whats your computer set up?

I've not met this problem yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

try running this, see if you can identify a particular process that's going crazy.

It's possible that there's some WMP background process interfering with the system. It's possible the wireless card drivers are not 100% compatible and causing problems. You'll just have to use trial & error to figure it out, like create a new account & log in to see if it still happens. Disable all WMP background processes. Disable all or any unnecessary background/startup processes/applications then re-enable on by one, restarting all the time to be sure. Painful I know, unless you want to just reinstall windows and risk it still happening!

Advertisement