Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Timing Belt or Chain??

Options
  • 23-01-2010 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question..............

I have a 05 Toyota Avensis 1.6 Petrol (Strata) and I just wanted to know is it a timing chain or a belt thats inside it?? Its a 95000 kilometres and I want to get it done soon.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the stupid question!!!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The VVT-i engine is timing chain, as long as you keep the oil changed and topped up you shouldn't have any issues. if the chain is on the way out it'll give you plenty notice in the way of rattles or an engine light.
    I've never seen a new type Avensis streching a chain or failing due to lack of lubrication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭whos who

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The VVT-i engine is timing chain, as long as you keep the oil changed and topped up you shouldn't have any issues. if the chain is on the way out it'll give you plenty notice in the way of rattles or an engine light.
    I've never seen a new type Avensis streching a chain or failing due to lack of lubrication.

Thanks for help!!!:)

So tell me when I get the car fully serviced soon do I have to ask the mechanic to anything with the chain at all then or is it just a matter of changing the engine oil???

just follow the Toyota service schedule outlined in the handbook, not forgetting items like the cabin pollen filter etc, auxillary belts, suspension components etc.

The chain isn't an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭whos who

colm_mcm wrote: »
    just follow the Toyota service schedule outlined in the handbook, not forgetting items like the cabin pollen filter etc, auxillary belts, suspension components etc.

The chain isn't an issue.

Excellent stuff...........thanks very much for your help!!!:D

indy garages usually don't have things like the pollen filter in stock and won't bother ordering one especially. if the airflow out of the vents isn't as strong as they should be then a new filter will improve flow, as well as improving the quality of the air and reducing condensation buildup

• Advertisement
Advertisement