Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting €€ from Car Breakers Yards for your car?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Just wondering instead of just handing a car to elvs.ie would car breakers yards like Summerhill spares pay anything for a fully functioning 10 year old car(Nissan Primera, not in an accident and everything works) delivered to them for breakage?. I mean they must be getting several hundred for parts they sell from stripped down cars so would you get any money from them or are they happy to be canabalising free write off's?. I presume road wreck write offs is their main source for parts?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The only way to know for sure is to give them a call and find out. There a scrap yard and will offer scrap value I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why do you wish to scrap it?
    If its fully functioning & not damaged, yu would get it sold for more than scrap value anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

mickdw wrote: »
    Why do you wish to scrap it?
    If its fully functioning & not damaged, yu would get it sold for more than scrap value anyway.

Well i have it in at the mechanics, diognostics suggest its something about the gearbox(automatic transmission) and oil light and engine light are signalling too(didnt get the bad news yet) so im reckoning it will be €300 is the very best case scenario for that!. Within the month the insurance is up and thats €430. Within the same month the motor tax will have to be renewed(€173). Within 3 months it will be needing its yearly service(€350 approx). within that time span approx €120 on petrol. Thats €1370 and its too much within the space of 3 months with the cars value between 1500-2000.
    Ok i could get it fixed and try to sell through carzone but im hearing there are so much messers and time wasters trying to sell it yourself.
    At least letting it go i avoid all the charges. What would you do or what sounds the best way to go?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yard breaker

Would hurt to call around, depending on your location http://www.ukbreakeryards.com might have some numbers listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well i have it in at the mechanics, diognostics suggest its something about the gearbox(automatic transmission) and oil light and engine light are signalling too(didnt get the bad news yet) so im reckoning it will be €300 is the very best case scenario for that!. Within the month the insurance is up and thats €430. Within the same month the motor tax will have to be renewed(€173). Within 3 months it will be needing its yearly service(€350 approx). within that time span approx €120 on petrol. Thats €1370 and its too much within the space of 3 months with the cars value between 1500-2000.
    Ok i could get it fixed and try to sell through carzone but im hearing there are so much messers and time wasters trying to sell it yourself.
    At least letting it go i avoid all the charges. What would you do or what sounds the best way to go?.

To be fair, autobox, oil and engine problems do not equal a 'fully functional car' in my book. And if you can't afford a few repairs, insurance, a service and petrol then you can't afford to run a car at the moment.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    To be fair, autobox, oil and engine problems do not equal a 'fully functional car' in my book. And if you can't afford a few repairs, insurance, a service and petrol then you can't afford to run a car at the moment.

Well its just unlucky they all happen to converge at the same time, its just not really economically viable at the moment and its main use is getting into work and that isnt looking too secure at the moment.
    Im just wondering is the best thing to fix and sell it rather than just get rid of it but i suppose i wont know for sure until the mechanic rings with the damage, if the gearbox needs replacing(€700-1K i hear) then that makes the decision for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well its just unlucky they all happen to converge at the same time, its just not really economically viable at the moment and its main use is getting into work and that isnt looking too secure at the moment.
    Im just wondering is the best thing to fix and sell it rather than just get rid of it but i suppose i wont know for sure until the mechanic rings with the damage, if the gearbox needs replacing(€700-1K i hear) then that makes the decision for me.

An autobox problem can be a real pain. Try a bit of googling on the symptoms, it can often be nothing more than a sensor or an autobox fluid change that needs doing.

Confab wrote: »
    An autobox problem can be a real pain. Try a bit of googling on the symptoms, it can often be nothing more than a sensor or an autobox fluid change that needs doing.

Cheers Confab, yeah i was told if its something like that or a solonoid etc i could get away with it. And the good thing is the mechanic is a friend of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You have a car that you are prepared to scrap yet you would spend €350 on a service on it?
    Anyway it seems you dont need a car from your post so offer it for sale fixed or park it now to avoid tax,insurance,petrol & service cost or offer it to scrapper or for sale on dealer or somewhere with the faults for small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

€350 for a service? That seem expensive.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    €350 for a service? That seem expensive.

If it's a full service and from a main dealer than no. I would query what service, parts were being done. They could all be just labour costs and all you get is an oil change :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hal1 wrote: »
    If it's a full service and from a main dealer than no. I would query what service, parts were being done. They could all be just labour costs and all you get is an oil change :p.

The context is an old car he might scrapping. What would be the point of going to a main dealer? To maintain the service history? Makes no sense to me.

BostonB wrote: »
    The context is an old car he might scrapping. What would be the point of going to a main dealer? To maintain the service history? Makes no sense to me.

I taught you where asking a question. :o

Advertisement