Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help removing old stereo from 98 Corolla

Options
  • 23-01-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Apologies if I am posting too many threads on the car, I thought I'd seperate them by issue so that others in the future might find them easier when searching etc rather than bunching everything into one big Corolla thread. Anyway here goes...

I am trying to get the old stereo out of my Corolla so that I can go get a nice new one. The old stereo seems to be the original Toyota model TM2000 with the detatchable face.

I have taken off the face, removed the two screws but it wont budge. I then removed the fan outlet panel underneath to see if I could see anything but cant see anything obvious holding it. See pics below...

attachment.php?attachmentid=103347&stc=1&d=1264258758

attachment.php?attachmentid=103348&stc=1&d=1264258770

So has anyone else been here before me? Whats holding this puppy in place? How do I extract it?

Also, what size is it? what size stereo do I need to replace it with? Any special wiring considerations?

Many many thanks for any advice, I hope these threads are of use to oters and if I can be of any help to anyone, please just ask etc

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In the actual vents I believe there are 2 screws/bolts that will allow you to remove the pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

jonny24ie wrote: »
    In the actual vents I believe there are 2 screws/bolts that will allow you to remove the pod.

jonny

are we talking 8-10mm bolts underneath and at either side of stereo? I saw them alright but thought they were something else.

There are two of these bolts underneath stereo (see image of left bolt taken with flashlight and mobile phone), accessed through vent panel. But if I loosen both (without removing completely as I am a bit scared to do that), the stereo doe snot loosen, its still held fast even with the bolts loosened.

attachment.php?attachmentid=103349&stc=1&d=1264260803

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would say the radio might be still clipped into the cage by a metal tab on each side. Something flat that can slide in each side of the radio could do the job I reackon.

But wait I just found this on the toyota owners club:

edit: scrap that it was for a celica :o but check that site for clues.

Right I sorted it, The whole panel that sits around and over the radio has to come out. That is what is held by the two bolts mentioned above.

Undo the two bolts left and right under the stereo (accessed through the fan vent panel). Then prize the stereo panel upwards away from dash. Panel comes out with the stereo all as one, and then you unscrew the stereo from the panel.

Found a good website here that explains procedure for this and many other makes/models.
    http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=139

• Advertisement
Advertisement