Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anything to stop rust?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Folks, quick question

My car was lying around for a couple of years or so and there is some rust now in around the engine. The stnd that the batter is on is quite rusty as is th eexhaust manifold.

Is there any product that I can just paint on that will check the rust and keep it from spreading?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

There is something like Waxoyl but i think that this have a black color.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

devil-80 wrote: »
    There is something like Waxoyl but i think that this have a black color.

Not too worried about the colour, I just want something that I can paint on and forget, it will be well hidden in beside the engine compartment. Waxoyl you say eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

There is a brush on gunk available that solidifies the rust and turns it black, inhibiting any spread. It's a chemical reaction and quite good as I've used it before. Ideal for what you want, especially in unimportant (visually) places. Cant think of the name, but any motor factors would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

you can get lowe rust primer which neutaralises the rust . it can be got in any paint shop hardware . you can paint over with same colour as the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The proper way is to remove the rust down to blank metal, prime and paint.

The bodge way is to use Hammerite Kurust on the rusty bits (after removing the real flaky stuff) and then seal it in waxoyl. It won't stop the rust, but it'll slow it down a good bit.

EDIT ...don't use waxoyl or paint on the exhaust manifold ...it'll just catch fire. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement